Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Over Limits of Catching Sockeye What Should I have done ?

Default Over Limits of Catching Sockeye What Should I have done ?

My 2 sons and I just returned from a very nice fishing trip to Alaska. One night we stayed in a rental cabin in Sterling Alaska, which had Kenai Riverfront access. The day we arrived the limit was 3 sockeye. When we went down to fish on the Cabin's river access, there were about 5 people fishing from a group of about 16 people from the State of Washington, who were also staying at the Cabins. During the two hours that we were there, I watched one man in the group, catch, snag, land, and keep over a dozen sockeye. After watching him land his 4th fish I asked him if they had raised the limit. I got no reply and was ignored, and he kept on fishing. Both of my sons also made comments to him and his party about the number of fish they were keeping, but we were ignored and they kept on fishing. I did notice that 5 women, ( whom I assume to be their wives) were not fishing. I did not know a number to the Fish and Game to call and report what I saw, but felt we did everything we could do, short of a fist fight, to stop this person from catching and keeping 5 to 10 times his limit of sockeye. The rest of the group was catching fish and then take a rest to take the fish to clean them and get them processed. Their group of fishermen were not threatened by us in the least nor did they stop fishing when they had taken over their limits. The help I am asking for is: What can one do to stop the taking of excess fish when you observe others doing it? ( I did not know where a fish and game is located in the Sterling area nor did I want to get into throwing punches ) Next time I will find the number to the Fish and Wildlife and keep it in my wallet. I do however feel that what I saw happens a lot on areas of the Kenai that is more isolated. Anyway I have ranted but do feel bad I was not able to stop what happened

They raised the limit to 6 a day but sounds like they took more than that...
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Or they have a proxy..
    -Local 907 Riders Union

Get the camera out and take pictures, that should get them to stop! Even if you don't plan to use the pcitues. heck, even fake taking pictures will get the on the run!
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

This happened on July 18th and the limit was 3 fish then. I know it was raised to 6 on the day we flew home.
    If this type of crap would have happened where I live, I would have a better handle on it. I just feel that some people think they are above the law. I know that the first time I visited and fished Alaska about 30 years ago, an Alaskan resident told me, you were better off shooting your wife than breaking any fish and game laws in Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by Lake creek fishermen View Post
    Or they have a proxy..
    How would you go about qualifing for a proxy as a nonresident????
    The op said the group he was watching was from WA.

To answer the question of what should I have done - I would think that you received a copy of the fishing regs when you bought your own license (?). There is a list of numbers to call in the front of the regs booklet for law enforcement.

In retrospect we should have taken a video and posted it on utube. I do really think that if we would have taken pictures there would have been punches thrown and possibly a camera thrown in the river.

Oh I was to lazy to read the whole post just picked my way through.
    Theres quite a bit of F&G down on the kenai penn but their out at the more user confined areas where their fishing, altho they do creep around in the bushes, dress in plain clothes and have infared goggle they cant be at ever mile of the river at once.
    Should have took a video and used that as evidence on the group when presenting it to the troopers, or run back, tell the troopers then the troopers would have checked how much fish they had on them then boom. over for them!
    Seen that all to many times on the kenai
    -Local 907 Riders Union

Don't ever forget that there is a violation reporting line on the back of your fishing license! It sure does sound like they were violating the regs, but if they weren't breaking the law, a check from ADF&G shouldn't have bothered them.

If nothing else I would have contacted whoever you rented the cabin from. Chances are they don't want their operatio to be associated with that type of activity.

I would have stopped fishing and went to find the number for the troopers. When I get back to Alaska from this deployment I will probably save the number in my phone for just such a case as this. Personally I will be armed when fishing anywhere, the .480 in a holster should be a pretty big deterrent from anyone wanting to throw punches.

Nice, walk around and strut your gun on your hip.

Theres an emergency line number on the back of all fishing licenses and troopers are fairly quick at making it to where they need to be IF you make it out to be a big deal. Normally they set other things at a higher priority then going to check out people potentialy taking more then their limit sadly.
    -Local 907 Riders Union

When that happens sometimes you have to stop fishing to get the enforcement you need. I have started to ask for the Troopers business card anytime a Trooper checks my license. I have managed to get a group of Trooper cell numbers in my cell phone. I have had to use it 3 times the last couple of years. It seems the response time is quicker than calling the violation line. However, if you don't have the Troopers number call the violation number on your license. Better to make the call than not.

Since when does carrying a sidearm while fishing, constitute "walking around strutting your gun on your hip"?

To the OP: I hope you enjoyed your visit and will come back again. I appreciate the fact that you were aware of the regulations and saw fit to abide by them. It's sad that there are so many other people out there who lack the same morals. As has been noted, the number to report violators is on the back of your license. No one should ever hesitate to use it. People who thumb their nose at the regs, especially after a polite reminder, should be busted, period. (As a PC alternative to beating them with a stick and throwing them in the river, which might otherwise be my preference).
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I read this quote some time ago:

"There are three kinds of men:
    The ones that learn by reading.
    The few who learn by observation.
    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
    "

Just something to ponder.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Don't forget you could always call the operator and ask to be transfered to the troopers, call 411 and ask for a number or not the best idea but call 911 and say this is a nonemergency but this sob is bludgeoning tons of salmon and you need a trooper before you bludgeon him.

Last time I checked it was my right to do so

You said it like you were trying to be intimidating tward the said group of people, if a member of said group did throw a punch upon being video taped or photographed then would you in turn pull out your gun and shoot?
    -Local 907 Riders Union

You said it like you were trying to be intimidating tward the said group of people, if a member of said group did throw a punch upon being video taped or photographed then would you in turn pull out your gun and shoot?
    You misunderstood me, what I mean was that if I witnessed an illegal activity, I would inform them that they were in fact commiting a crime. If they then decided to ignore me and I took pictures or video of said illegal activity for law enforcement, they most likely would not come over to me and try to go to fisticuffs if I was wearing a sidearm. Thats why I said it would be a deterrant.

If he feels his life or property is in danger it is his right, in fact, to defend himself. You've already spouted off in your first post on this thread without reading the original post. Know what you are talking about before you comment. There is nothing wrong with the comments Matt made, it is his right to carry a sidearm and defend himself if he feels threatened. Also, a .480 does make a very fine deterrent.

As for the question posed by the OP. You did all you could at the time and thank you for making a comment to the individuals. Like others have said, I hope it does not sour your taste for Alaska and you return in the future. It is sad though, that people out there as so greedy that they do this kind of thing. There are very few honest people left. Thanks again.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast