Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NICS 4473 Form

Default NICS 4473 Form

Here's the dilemma. I have filled out the 4473 form to purchase a firearm twice before with it coming back as "delayed". On both the prior two times, after the 2nd day the gun store calls me and says that they have gotten a "proceed" from NCIS and I can come in and purchase my firearm. This time however, it came back "delayed" and it has been 7 days including the weekend. I have heard that if the gun store hasn't heard back from NCIS by now that most likely they won't be getting an answer. Has anybody had a problem like this or has even waited longer and have gotten an answer? Should I just go to a different gun store and try there OR possibly wait for nothing here at this firearm store?

NICS 4473. NCIS is the TV show,

Check back with the gun store. You have not been DENIED.

see http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nic...ion/fact-sheet

excerpt:
    The NICS Section
    Located at the FBI’s Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) Division in Clarksburg, West Virginia, the NICS Section processes background checks for the FFLs in those states that have declined to serve as POCs for the NICS. The FFLs conducting business in these states will contact the NICS either by telephone, via one of the contracted call centers, or electronically by the NICS E-Check via the Internet. The FFLs will provide the descriptive information requested on the ATF Form 4473, which is required by law to be completed and signed by every prospective firearm transferee. The FFL will receive a response that the transfer may proceed or is delayed. This response is typically provided within 30 seconds.
    If no matching records are returned by any of the databases, the transaction is automatically proceeded. If the NICS returns a match of the prospective firearm transferee’s descriptive information to that of record information located in any of the databases, the FFL is advised that the transaction is delayed. While the FFL is still on the telephone, the call is placed on hold and transferred to the NICS Section in Clarksburg, West Virginia, for a quick review and evaluation by a NICS Legal Instruments Examiner (NICS Examiner). If the record information returned by the NICS presents a valid match to the descriptive information of the prospective firearm transferee, the NICS Examiners, who have access to protected information (as opposed to Call Center personnel who do not have such access) review the information to determine if state and/or federal firearm prohibitive criteria exists. If the information matched by the NICS is not a valid match or no prohibitive criteria exists, the NICS Examiner will advise the FFL they may PROCEED with the firearm transaction. The FFL must record the NICS Transaction Number (NTN) on line 21b of the ATF Form 4473 and retain the form for auditing purposes.
    If it is determined that prohibitive criteria exists, the NICS Examiner will advise the FFL to DENY the firearm transaction. If potentially prohibitive criteria exists and more information is required in order to make the determination, the NICS Examiner will advise the FFL to DELAY the firearm transaction and the FFL will receive the following instructions:
    “. . .NTN ___ will be delayed while the NICS continues its research. If you do not receive a final response from us, the Brady Law does not prohibit the transfer of the firearm on day/date.”
    The NICS Examiner will provide the FFL with the date of the third business day after the firearm check was initiated. Business days do not include the day the check was initiated, Saturdays, Sundays, and any day state offices in the state of purchase are closed. If the FFL has not received from the NICS a final determination after three business days have elapsed since the delay response, it is within the FFL’s discretion whether or not to transfer the firearm (if state law permits the transfer). If the FFL transfers the firearm, the FFL must mark “No resolution was provided within three business days” on line 21d of the ATF Form 4473. It is recommended the FFL record the date provided in the delay response on which the firearm may be lawfully transferred under federal law if a final determination of proceed or denied is not received from the NICS.

Double check this, but if memory serves me, after 24hrs, if the FFL has not heard back regarding Delayed. They may, at their discretion, sell you the firearm.

There is obviously something in NICS that has you screwed up. When you fill out the 4473 do you give them your SSI? It can help ID you as you instead of NICS thinking you are somebody else.

I had a problem with NICS a few years back, flat got Denied. It took me a year to get it squared away and now I have a PIN # and a VAF... Voluntary Access File. There is a place on the 4473 where I put in the PIN and the last 2 times I had a NICS check all went smooth. It might be worth it to get ahold of the Feds and see what's up.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

There you have it allen-ak posted while I was typing.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

On a “delayed” the FFL can, at their own discretion, sell you the firearm after 3 business days. Likely after a week they will hear nothing more back. Most will go on and complete the sale if you ask . . . I’d sell it but I’d not contact you on a delayed like I would on an approved.

There is a way to use your SSN or something and get their flags off your file I was told by an ATF agent, kind of like getting pre approved and separate you from the other folks that they are actually worried about. I’d contact NICS and check that out.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    I had a problem with NICS a few years back, flat got Denied. It took me a year to get it squared away and now I have a PIN # and a VAF... Voluntary Access File. There is a place on the 4473 where I put in the PIN and the last 2 times I had a NICS check all went smooth. It might be worth it to get ahold of the Feds and see what's up.
    Yup that's it, that's what ya need to do.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Ya need to watch less TV......... NICS not NCIS!!!
    I always get a delay, usualy 24hrs or less. But I am only a legal resident so I assume I have additional checks on me. Only once have I had a delay of more than a day and that turned out to be the dealer quoting my alien number wrong on the phone. When you get a delay NICS give the dealer a date, if NICS have not responded by then (as I understand it) then the dealer is allowed to proceed. 'Kinda 'no news means good news.

Wow y'all are quick. I started replying, took a call, hit the post button only to see my post was nugatory. GET BACK TO WORK!!!

I do put my SS# on the 4473 form and I've only had a fix it ticket on my record. I asked the gun store, they don't sell the firearm after the 3 business day. They said its against their store policy. They keep the form for 30 days and if they haven't heard anything after 30 days then they put the gun back on the shelf and file the 4473 form. I'll either go and try another store or have my wife buy it and gift it to me. Lol

Y’all picking on us poor folks afflicted with dyslexia . . . I didn’t even notice it at first, I knew want he was sayin. Ya missed that form 4473 is an BATF form and NICS is a FBI deal.

I don’t want to go back to work . . . But I must.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpshooterassassin View Post

or have my wife buy it and gift it to me. Lol
    Or I could buy it as a gift for you, that IMHO is the joke of the whole charade.

LOL! No charade. But that would be the easiest remedy.

Shades of "Fast and Furious" that could get several people in trouble !! If it's been more than 7 days and you haven't been proceeded on a firearms purchase find another dealer. The store you are dealing with is going overboard. That's of couse if the firearm you want is a commonly sold/carried item.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Yeah, it's a .22lr pistol. Lol! I'll just try another dealer tomorrow and if that doesn't work, I know my wife wants to get the same pistol , wink wink😉

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpshooterassassin View Post
    Yeah, it's a .22lr pistol. Lol! I'll just try another dealer tomorrow and if that doesn't work, I know my wife wants to get the same pistol , wink wink��
    The first question on the forum is: Are you buying this as a gift.....???? It is totally legal to buy a firearm as a gift. It is NOT legal to do a Straw-man purchase.

You shoulda marked box 10 a yes. If you said you were Hispanic than probably no problems. Who knows the DOJ mighta given you a free assault rifle under the FAF program and you could bypass the rest of the questions saying they are racial profiling.

My past 2 purchases only had to wait 2 days which wasn't problem. 12a is the question about the buyer buying the firearm for him or herself or as a gift for someone else or along those lines. What I'm saying is that if I would've known which is impossible to know how long it wouldve taken, I would've asked my wife to buy it as a gift for me. I'm just pissed that I don't have a record except a fix it ticket and that it's taking this long. I do have a common name which is the only thing I can think of. So the only things that I can do is wait it out, apply at a different store, buy it used from a private buyer, or my wife knows that I want it as a gift for our anniversary.

And since I don't have a record and I haven't been in any kind of trouble, then it wouldn't be a straw purchase.

It would be a gift for our anniversary present

I just wonder if you used your screen name from here and that raised questions.............SHARPSHOOTERASSASSIN !!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast