Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What fish gave you the best fight?

Default What fish gave you the best fight?

So, what saltwater fish gave you the best fight?

For me, it was an Ulua (Giant Trevally) off the west coast of Maui. Those things scream the line and seem to never tire.

Since this is Alaska saltwater forum..................gotta say cross sound king salmon. For some reason them salty kings fight harder than any other king I've caught. Man I love Cross Sound ~ deer harbor kings are the best.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Does tide water count?

Mid ninteen eighties, late August in the evening sun almost on the horizon, Anchor river, fishing outgoing tide at the "grass hole" ... drifting a egg fly with about about 4 ft of deep water express shooting head and a 17 lb 4 ft Stren mono leader. I saw the stike indicator take off and came up on the 9 wt. lamaglass G-1000 (made in the USA back then) ... A tripple flip followed buy a run upstream towards the "Slide hole" so fast that the outgoing fly line burnned a groove in my skin. She turned and came screaming back down river. Stripping line as fast as I could finaly caught up to her 100 yards down stream almost around the corner heading for the ocean. thought about running with her, but she turned and did a double flip. Came back up stream and when she felt the hook once again pulled hard against it left the water and jumped into the oppsite bank about three feet up ... almost in the grass on the other side. Fell back into the water on the other side turned and ran stright at me and out of the water a few ft away from where I was standing. I grabbed the line and her by the tail ... unhooked the fly from the corner from her jaw and stayed with her for a few minutes in shallow water so she could recover, she swam off hopefully to spawn and return to the ocean next spring.

Eight pound Steelhead hen.

Pound for Pound, I'd go with Yellowfin Tuna. It's hard to imagine anything fighting harder.

For pure adrenaline, what in god's name have I hooked, hitting 4 higher octaves on the drag with the clicker on, it's the man in the blue suit. Nothing makes a real scream like a marlin, and the fight's amazing with speed, jumping, greyhounding, deep power as well, but pound for pound, a tuna would whip them.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Pound for Pound, I'd go with Yellowfin Tuna. It's hard to imagine anything fighting harder.

For pure adrenaline, what in god's name have I hooked, hitting 4 higher octaves on the drag with the clicker on, it's the man in the blue suit. Nothing makes a real scream like a marlin, and the fight's amazing with speed, jumping, greyhounding, deep power as well, but pound for pound, a tuna would whip them.
    Havent caught a yellowfin, but I really enjoyed the fight that my 40lb Mahi put on in Hawaii this past year.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I was going to say the Mahi I caught off Boston in the Gulf Stream in 1989. Spent almost as much time in the air as it did in the water. And it was delish baked.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

The 700lb Blue Marlin I put next to the boat in 06 out of Oregon inlet, that was better than Sex by yourself I've hooked a number of them as well as most of the Big Blue water fish, their all awesome, but that was my first Marlin and my biggest.

Quote Originally Posted by ocnfish View Post
    Does tide water count?

Mid ninteen eighties, late August in the evening sun almost on the horizon, Anchor river, fishing outgoing tide at the "grass hole" ... drifting a egg fly with about about 4 ft of deep water express shooting head and a 17 lb 4 ft Stren mono leader. I saw the stike indicator take off and came up on the 9 wt. lamaglass G-1000 (made in the USA back then) ... A tripple flip followed buy a run upstream towards the "Slide hole" so fast that the outgoing fly line burnned a groove in my skin. She turned and came screaming back down river. Stripping line as fast as I could finaly caught up to her 100 yards down stream almost around the corner heading for the ocean. thought about running with her, but she turned and did a double flip. Came back up stream and when she felt the hook once again pulled hard against it left the water and jumped into the oppsite bank about three feet up ... almost in the grass on the other side. Fell back into the water on the other side turned and ran stright at me and out of the water a few ft away from where I was standing. I grabbed the line and her by the tail ... unhooked the fly from the corner from her jaw and stayed with her for a few minutes in shallow water so she could recover, she swam off hopefully to spawn and return to the ocean next spring.

Eight pound Steelhead hen.
    Great fish and one helluva story !!!

I was pleasantly surprised by the fight of a 25# Yellowtail I caught in Cabo this year. It made the 20# Roosterfish look like a lazy teenager.

Back east Id have to say Bluefish. They are the most aggressive, PO'D fish I have ever caught.

Yellow fin tuna off the coast of Japan. Never in my life have I faught a fish line that.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

The 250 lb Blue Marlin out of Cabo about 12 years ago. That thing ran and took line like nothing I have ever seen. I was looking in the direction of the line when they yelled its jumping, but they pointed about 400 yards off the boat at 90 degrees... that thing took 600 yards of line off the reel in about 30 seconds.

I would say in AK... 8 lb silver on a 3 wt fly rod in Deep Creek.... it hit by the boat ramp and I landed it on the beach at the mouth of the river.. I basically had to run which ever way it did to keep from breaking the rod.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Up here I'd have to say it was a 51 pound king. I've caught bigger, but this guy glommed on when I was messing with small black rockfish against a kelp bed using a 7 1/2' spinning rod and 8# line and 1 oz darts. Fortunately he headed for deep water about a quarter mile away.... And got there. When I landed him after a 40-minute fight, I felt like I'd been in a sprint.

Lotta memorable fish in other places too, seems like there's a hardest-fighting fish wherever I go and whatever I'm fishing for. That's good. A guy needs to come away from every fishing trip feeling that way.

Quote Originally Posted by fishinswede View Post
    Back east Id have to say Bluefish. They are the most aggressive, PO'D fish I have ever caught.
    Good thing they don't get real big nothing in the ocean would be safe !!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Very true, several years ago someone swimming at Hampton Beach in NH had a bluefish bit her ankle which required 50 some odd stitches. Toothy critters!!!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Not so much of a fight as a reel scorching run....and technically not even a fish, but we inadvertantly hooked a dahls porpoise this spring in PWS. Mooching with salmon gear off Ester Island when it was hooked and within seconds it took well over 150 yds of line. A mad scramble took place on deck trying to find the bait knife to cut the line. Fortunately the line broke right at the terminal gear so it didn't have to drag a bunch of line around for a while. Most impressive power!!!!!

We also had a Dall's hit our line 3 weeks ago bottom fishing. $20 worth of terminal tackle and a $50 spool of spectra line sizzled away in 6 seconds. Good thing we had the knife handy or the rod would have gone too.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    Yellow fin tuna off the coast of Japan. Never in my life have I faught a fish line that.
    nice! I wouldnt mind sinking some gear into a tunas face myself raptor. Japan though? what brought you way out there?

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Not so much of a fight as a reel scorching run....and technically not even a fish, but we inadvertantly hooked a dahls porpoise this spring in PWS. Mooching with salmon gear off Ester Island when it was hooked and within seconds it took well over 150 yds of line. A mad scramble took place on deck trying to find the bait knife to cut the line. Fortunately the line broke right at the terminal gear so it didn't have to drag a bunch of line around for a while. Most impressive power!!!!!
    My son had the same thing happen while we were halibut fishing in the outter parts of Resurrection Bay a few years ago. My buddy grabbed the rod from my son before it took him over the side. It was a rather quick unintended event but that porpoise sure spun the boat around and almost spooled the reel rather quick!

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Since this is Alaska saltwater forum..................gotta say cross sound king salmon. For some reason them salty kings fight harder than any other king I've caught. Man I love Cross Sound ~ deer harbor kings are the best.
    40# Cook inlet feeder king was a lot more fish than my 60# Kenai king.....no doubt about it. Too bad I was fishing for halibut as he was no match for 80# test and the big star drag. But when he first hit in about 20' of water we didn't know what the heck I had. Darn near yanked the pole outta my hands..!!!

Oh......and a friend hooked a sea lion once........does that count???......lol Sure was exciting.......for a few seconds.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast