Thread: Russian River silvers

Default Russian River silvers

We will end up at the russian at some point on are trip this year after the reds go out of season . I was there for the first time in 09 and it seemed like everyone was flossing reds that they couldn't keep anyway and silvers .Being a newby there I was taught how to floss for them also , but this year I would rather not floss and was wondering if I stand much of a chance at fair catch for the silvers on the russian or are they just to harassed to bite . I caught nice silvers on montana creek and anchor river fair catch and would rather go that way .
    chugbugs are for big bass -topwater!

I caught a few out there last year. Silver seem to be pretty aggresive. I just try to find a place away from the crowds and the fish seem a little more willing to cooperate.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

I was thinking first thing in the morning during the week might be pretty good for silvers and rainbows in the russian area near the island . They had the fillet tables at the opposite end of the island from the ferry crossing , would that be legal fishing for beads after the reds go out ( after August 18th ) not sure if there legal in the russian , to many regulations !!!

During the week, in the fall on the Russian, is the time to do it. Few people and there are a ton of dollies, trout, and a few silvers here and there. Silvers are usually tough to get to bite there though. They've been harassed all the way up the river and are usually pretty spooky. You can always line them though. Not the ideal way to fish, but can be done. That section of the river is really good for dollies after the eggs start dropping. Beads are legal on the Russian after 20 Aug (page 50-51 of the regs).
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Thanks for the help guys , there are so many regs. and dates , can't wait, hope the silvers and bows want to play !!

Don't even know if it's legal any longer, but the very best of the silver fishing used to be just above the beginning of Lower Russian River, where they seemed to slow down a little after fightint Bear Falls, just a few yards downstream.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 003.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	140.7 KB 
ID:	61660
    A nice shiny Russian Rio coho, mid August last summer.

Some nice pics of silvers caught on the russian , whats the secret fly recipe . I have about every pattern I could think of tied up . Had the basics on my last trip ESL , wooly buggers etc. but this year I tied up alot of silvery pink comets , bunnys even some flashy clousers should be interesting . Sounds like the reds are going to come in strong but what about the silvers , is the outlook good.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    During the week, in the fall on the Russian, is the time to do it. Few people and there are a ton of dollies, trout, and a few silvers here and there. Silvers are usually tough to get to bite there though. They've been harassed all the way up the river and are usually pretty spooky. You can always line them though. Not the ideal way to fish, but can be done. That section of the river is really good for dollies after the eggs start dropping. Beads are legal on the Russian after 20 Aug (page 50-51 of the regs).
    how big are these dollies you speak of

Quote Originally Posted by chugbug View Post
    Some nice pics of silvers caught on the russian , whats the secret fly recipe . I have about every pattern I could think of tied up . Had the basics on my last trip ESL , wooly buggers etc. but this year I tied up alot of silvery pink comets , bunnys even some flashy clousers should be interesting . Sounds like the reds are going to come in strong but what about the silvers , is the outlook good.
    thats what im sayin,.. time for some silvers,.. i am gonna hit a couple matsu rivers this weekend and see what i can come up with

Quote Originally Posted by alaska_pike View Post
    how big are these dollies you speak of
    Small on average but there are a few porkers running around in there. They eat good with all them reds hanging out.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Obviously timing is pretty much everything when it comes to silvers...and others! I fished the Russian/Kenai confluence a couple weeks in Sept last year and was lucky to locate 5 or 6 silvers in a hard day of fishing. Most were super spooky in the shallower water and held up longer in the deeper pools. It took me a while to distinguish them from all the sockeyes but once I got the hang of it I found a VERY few! There were VERY few dollys and rainbows (that I saw) in the lower Russian. I caught several on eggs. There are sooo many different color/size egg options that it can be pretty tricky if the few dollys/rainbows have been eating many eggs. The Kenai was at flood stage last year in mid to late August so it was challenging fishing...to say the least! I didn't fish the Upper Russian and not sure if the silvers settle down more up there? There seemed to be fisherman in all the best holes on the lower Russian...even during weekdays when I was there.