Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's your "Go To" pike lure?

Question What's your "Go To" pike lure?

I'm taking my youngest (6yrs old) out on a fly-out pike trip this weekend. I've been on this trip before and have landed plenty of pike so I'm not concerned about putting fish in the boat for him.

I have the "usuals"; Rapela's, dare devils, a few crank baits, the top waters (jitterbug/ frog and mouse)... But I am curious if any of you have a "Go To" lure that gets them to bite even when for some reason the "usuals" aren't producing like they normally do. I've experienced this once when the water was higher than normal as well as higher than normal boat traffic.

Thanks in advance!
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Chartruse/white spinner baits when overcast, black/brown when sunny. Run just below or at the surface. Who are you using for a fly out?

Quote Originally Posted by ergoman View Post
    Chartruse/white spinner baits when overcast, black/brown when sunny. Run just below or at the surface. Who are you using for a fly out?
    I have had stellar luck with those two combinations as well... Thanks for the response!

Marina Air out of Fairbanks.

AKArcher

Couple years ago when we did the same flyout, we had great luck with Husky Jerks. They wouldn't touch the spinnerbaits, but a golden or blue Husky worked wonders at any of the little confluences.

Fathers Day weekend a few friends and I did some Pike fishing at Shell Lake. In the past, in the fall, they were all over the frogs. We couldn't get them to touch the frogs this spring. We switched to a red/white Daredevil and Pink #2/3 Vibrax and they were all over it.
    Their bellies were full of leeches and Sticklefish (? not sure ?) minnows.

I used white mister twisters with good success on red shirt lake. They may work where you are going...

6" chrome grandma.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

orange and yellow #5 and #6 Marabo's work well

this cheap 2 dollar floating rig from wal mart. silver and about 3 inches long. if there is a pike in a 30 feet radius of my cast, its a automatic hit. floats then jerk twice and it submerges and refloats then BANG!
    hook, line, sinker, done.

Quote Originally Posted by fishak View Post
    this cheap 2 dollar floating rig from wal mart. silver and about 3 inches long. if there is a pike in a 30 feet radius of my cast, its a automatic hit. floats then jerk twice and it submerges and refloats then BANG!
    This sounds like it would be impossible for pike to resist... can you provide a pic to better describe what I should be looking for? Maybe which Wal-Mart you picked it up at?

Thanks!!

AKArcher

Quote Originally Posted by AKArcher View Post
    This sounds like it would be impossible for pike to resist... can you provide a pic to better describe what I should be looking for? Maybe which Wal-Mart you picked it up at?

Thanks!!
    I'm guessing it's a version of the Rapala.. We hammered pike with them just a little larger 5" floating black and silver version.

i got it at midtown probably about 5 years ago. still have it at home with the evidence of pike hits. will take a pic when i have a chance.
    hook, line, sinker, done.

I've always liked crazy crawlers and any of the misc. buzzbaits. Also, large musky topwater plugs with spinners.

Good luck! Post report with pics!
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

#5 black bucktail and Johnsons' weedless silver spoon worked great on the Yukon/Kandic last week.

I'm taking my youngest (6yrs old) out on a fly-out pike trip this weekend. I've been on this trip before and have landed plenty of pike so I'm not concerned about putting fish in the boat for him.

I have the "usuals"; Rapela's, dare devils, a few crank baits, the top waters (jitterbug/ frog and mouse)... But I am curious if any of you have a "Go To" lure that gets them to bite even when for some reason the "usuals" aren't producing like they normally do. I've experienced this once when the water was higher than normal as well as higher than normal boat traffic.

Thanks in advance!

I have a cabin "off" the Yentna, next to "no Name lake".. a few years ago we took a friend out there and he had a Mouse made out of deer hair.. Because the hair is hollow and floats it's basically a "top water" lure.. Our friend caught a lot of nice Pike with it and although it was kinda beat up he left it at the cabin for anyone else to use... We've used it a few times more, and it's more beat up, but the dadgummed thing keeps on keeping on..! One year my teen aged grandson and I were fishing near some lilly pads and he was using the deer hair lure. He got a hit from a small pike laying under a lilly pad. He reeled it in, turned it loose and it went back to the same lilly pad. He tossed the lure at the same lilly pad and the same pike hit it again.. he reeled it in, turned it loose and etc, etc, etc, He did that 6 or 7 time with the same dumb pike.. We still laugh about that one.. Those rubber mice and frogs are nice, but about 2 or 3 hits and the pike teeth take all the float out of them.

I have had stellar luck with those two combinations as well... Thanks for the response!

Marina Air out of Fairbanks.
    Deadman Lake or Minto? Highly recommend Deadman Lake...

When I'm fishing higher pressure areas, I reach deep into the old bass fishing arsenal. Two exceptional performers have been the Zoom Superfluke and the Buzztail Shad by Producto. Pick colors to match conditions (dark for murky water/natural colors for clear) and rig either one on an offset shank Gamakatsu superline hook (extra weight for casting) size 3/0. The buzztail is harder to cast but easier to work...retrieve fast enough to keep it on top and let the tail do it's thing. It works miracles in thick pads. The superfluke is more difficult but it's action is deadly. With each rotation of the reel handle, snap the rod tip straight down toward the water. Experiment with retrieval speeds. The superfluke darts with the rod action and dies on the pause...it's a sight to behold.

Top lure at Deadman Lake was the 4" Storm swimbait. There are massive schools of whitefish in that lake, and the pike gorge on them. Anywhere the underwater vegetation came within about 2 feet of the surface was the place to be...unless the topwater bite was on, of course. Who can resist that?

Good luck!
    "Live that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Show respect to all and grovel to none. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people."

Frog-Bert. It is a frog with long rat tails and a treble hook. Pure pleasure! I also have a cool Rabbit Fur Rat lure that brings them in like magic!

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Kotz

Vinny the Vole and Ronnie The Rat.

Want to test your courage? Try a black Jitterbug on still water at night. There's nothing like catching unseen angry thrashing monsters by braille in the dark...

Cowards turn on their headlamp before they reach over the side of the boat
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I like the weedless johnson silver minnow and I add about a two inch white twister tail on the back. Its easy to control the depth of the lure and it can be retrieved really slow when they aren"t biting or fast and on top when they are aggressive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast