Thread: First full week of Aug.

Default First full week of Aug.

Okay, I'm looking for some insight as to the 'best' fishing options wk of Aug 6 for family with 3 teens.

I thought we had everything pretty much laid out but Momma pulled out the map last night and had at least 4 or 5 reroute possibilities before I decided to go to bed. I figured I best rest up 'cause whatever the outcome, it would require lots of energy on my part to pick up all the pieces.

Here's the deal.... We're in an RV and will be coming down from Fairbanks and have to wind up in Seward within about ~4ish days of travel time. Among the glacier trips and hiking, we would like to catch some fish... sockeye would be cool, bright pinks would be great, bows would be fun too. If we could bring home a couple, that's okay...If we C&R, that's okay too. But bringing a few home, we can share with family/friends.

During this timeframe, Aug ~6-10, where do you anticipate will be the 'hottest' area or at least one where we can catch some fish. I don't really have a good feel for all the creek names and river systems, so the run reports and peak predictions all seem to blur together so it makes it tough to figure out the right 'timing' to ensure we're in the right spot for best success.... AK has a BUNCH of different options and when you combine the week to week variation...whew....!

Basically we will be fishing spinners and spoons due to lack of experience and know how with everything else. Also, do not have a boat.

I've got to get this itenerary out of the ditch and back on the road.

Forgot to mention....We will be coming down the Richardson from Fairbanks...

You didn't mention that you'd like to catch silvers, but I assume that's just an oversight. I can't help much on the rest of your itinerary, but there should be catchable numbers of silvers off the beaches and off the rocks off of Lowell Pt. road in Seward. Gaudy spinners and spoons such as Pixies can be deadly for them if the fish are around then.

And I don't know if you have a copy of The Milepost, but it can be an invaluable aid in making plans for stopping at places along the way. If you get the names of some rivers/streams to fish it will tell you exactly where they are.

Hope some other people chime in here, and hope you find some great fishing!
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Try to pick up a copy of "The Highway Angler". It documents about every road accessible fishery in Alaska. It includes run timings, baits to use, access, and all species of fish available. There are a number of streams along the Parks Highway that should have a variety of salmon in them in that timeframe as well as some rainbows, grayling, and dollies. There should still be some good sockeye fishing in the Kenai and Russian rivers but they could be crowded and sockeye fishing is different than other salmon. Spinners and spoons will not work well for sockeye and can be frustrating to fish for the inexperienced angler. The penninsula has way too many opportunites too cover here and there should be a lot of good fishing opportunities at that time. If you are not against spending some money on a charter and you can find one available there are some great salmon/halibut charters out of Seward this time of year. If you are more adventurous Miller's Landing in Seward rents small boats and I believe they also offer a relatively inexpensive half day Black Bass (rockfish) charter which would would be a lot of fun and some very tasty fish. The key is to be flexible though because fishing can change by the hour due to conditions which is why watching this forum and using the above book will give you the best options. Coming down from Fairbanks there are a number of streams that have good grayling fishing. They are small but active fish that provide lots of action and can be caught on small flies or spinners. Be sure to check regulations closely because they may vary from stream to stream. You are covering a lot of ground and there are probably too many possibilities to mention. You may get more information if you can narrow your question down to specific stretches of highway. Good Luck!

ditto.....^ and feel free to go back and read the post I did on your thread in the freshwater forum OP
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    You didn't mention that you'd like to catch silvers, but I assume that's just an oversight. I can't help much on the rest of your itinerary, but there should be catchable numbers of silvers off the beaches and off the rocks off of Lowell Pt. road in Seward. Gaudy spinners and spoons such as Pixies can be deadly for them if the fish are around then.

And I don't know if you have a copy of The Milepost, but it can be an invaluable aid in making plans for stopping at places along the way. If you get the names of some rivers/streams to fish it will tell you exactly where they are.

Hope some other people chime in here, and hope you find some great fishing!
    +1 for what Muttley says for silvers and off the rocks, you should do good. Plus you can rent a boat from Millers landing if you want to go out a little. Shouldn't have to go too far also (but you should have some boating skills if you do this.). You can also do a half day salmon trip relatively cheep.

Since you've got an RV, i would also make a run to the Russian or Kenia and flip for reds. It'll be combat fishing at its finest at both spots but you can catch fish pretty easy and at 6ea, you'll take home some meet.

Tight-lines and fish on!!! Be safe also.
    Tony