Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you rember that great tackle store in the basement?

Default Do you rember that great tackle store in the basement?

Do you guys remember that terrific tackle shop in the basement in midtown? The place that had everything and the most knowledgeable and friendly people who were happy to help you. People who were passionate about fishing and customer service. It was the only place I used to go for tackle.

Somebody using the same name moved upstairs but all those great people are gone and they don't seem to carry that much of what I need anymore. The checkout people don't even know the words thank you and if you try to get help at the back counter plan on standing there for 10 minutes or so before you are even acknowledged.

It is a real shame I like spending my money at a locally owned company but unfortunately now I find myself spreading my business around to the big box stores including the one known for the "cheap Chinese crap" and they actually have more friendly customer service.

Can't imagine who you're talking about.

Sounds like you have special issues since this is your first post.

If you have lived here for any length of time you will remember that that store of old started upstairs. The downstairs was the commercial side. That being said, I find my self yearning for the crew that ran "the cave". There are no familiar faces and I agree that customer service seems to be a thing of the past.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I think the new set up is great. Sure I had to go find someone to help me at the back counter but they were busy. Understandable this time of the year.

While a lot of the staff is new there are still some of the originals there and is still owned by the same people. I get terrific service there so im not too sure what kind of problems another people are having. Ask for Stewart or Mike right off the bat if you think you are dealing with someone that dodsn't understand your needs.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Yeh the few experienced staff they kept are still great, but... it is a new feel and the checkout people are not the same caliber. I guess there is always Sportsmans.

I remember when a majority of that mall was that store. It was huge and the only place to go in town to get what you needed. I miss the old cave downstairs but I have been by a couple of times and while I did not need any help finding what I needed, a couple other folks where getting solid advice from the employees.

One thing I wish is that they had kept all the fishing stuff in the same place, now its hard to find what you need but most of it is still there.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I for one feel the same as the OP. I love going there, but now it's just not the same. Before, you couldn't get out of there bcause all the employees wanted to talk. Now you have to search out someone and when ya do find one, they seem bothered and don't have a clue how to help you. One big exception is the fishing counter. That is the same. I love going back there to BS. Except if I'm on a mission and need a quick in and out, then I avoid them so I don't get caught talking for an hour..... LOL All said though, I think they are the best place in town to get quality gear at a good price.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Personally I think the staff are great, they just need a few more in there. The checkout staff have some things to learn about all the gear, and customer service, but the staff in the back are great. Even my 7 year old daughter likes going in there. Give the rest if the staff time, they'll figure it out.

Well I guess that my perceptions are wrong. Glad that most of you are happy. My only motivation was to hopefully clue in the management that something special about their shop has been lost and I miss it. They have really been a unique Alaskan business for many decades. My apologies and good fishing to all.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    If you have lived here for any length of time you will remember that that store of old started upstairs. The downstairs was the commercial side. That being said, I find my self yearning for the crew that ran "the cave". There are no familiar faces and I agree that customer service seems to be a thing of the past.
    "Under the 'pink'ems'", or right next to them if memory serves. I think Mike is still there. Unfortunately Tom is selling rafts now.

Quote Originally Posted by MischiefManaged View Post
    "Under the 'pink'ems'", or right next to them if memory serves. I think Mike is still there. Unfortunately Tom is selling rafts now.
    I saw Mike today working. First time I have seen him all season. It is still heads and shoulders above the rest and I will continue to shop there, but the service is no where near what it used to be. This seems to be true most everywhere, though.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I saw Mike today working. First time I have seen him all season. It is still heads and shoulders above the rest and I will continue to shop there, but the service is no where near what it used to be. This seems to be true most everywhere, though.
    I certainly agree with this perception and Im glad the original poster brought this up. I loved this place when it was in the basement. While its not bad now it just isn't the same. That being said they are still better than anything else in town. I just miss the man cave feel and some of the old staff with there great knowledge of fishing in alaska. Im hoping if I give it some time that it will get back to what it used to be.

Mike and Linda are still there. Look for them on the weekdays.

The sales people in there don't bother me, when I go into a store I generally know exactly what I am looking for and don't care to be bothered. The one thing I cannot stand about that place is the parking lot, it's pretty terrible
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I would still way rather support a locally owned business than a giant chain store. They are a dying breed and it is too bad.

Believe it or not I have start my shopping and information fact finding right here on this forum! Then I search for the best deals in town to support the locals but to be honest I'm not sure how local some of these places really are. I recently spent over 4 grand in that new place everyone is talking about but that really started because I got ignored elsewhere. Guess i was lucky and got Stewart the first in. Now I go strait to Stewart who knows how much I spend there and I get VIP service even though I'm not a commercial fisherman.

I miss the old place too. The last time I was in there I noticed they quite carrying some of the fishing supplies I went in to get. I was happy to hear they had a new website until I went there and saw the have only 13 products listed in the general fishing section. It is not a place I will seek out anymore when I go to Anchorage.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

They still have all the stuff they had before, but what I really liked about the place when they were in the basement was the atmosphere/decor. I always felt like I was back in my childhood at one of the backwoods tackle shops that my dad and I would stop at on the way to go fishin. In fact, I bet more often than not I left the store without even buying anything, just went in to browse...it was pretty cool. I found the guys in the basement to be pretty knowledgable, but a tad overbearing at times.

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    The one thing I cannot stand about that place is the parking lot, it's pretty terrible
    I agree 100% on this one. I know in business 'location location location' is key... but man this midtown location has some of the worst parking of anywhere I shop.
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast