Thread: Lake Louise fishing

Default Lake Louise fishing

My family and I are going to be spending a couple of days, Aug 14-16 at Lake Louise and I'm want to ask about how the fishing has been and what I can have a chance at catching while we're there. I know Lake Louise is known for it's big lake trout but I heard and read that the fishing for them is better in June and come August the fish have moved deeper and are harder to catch. Would my chances be better at catching rainbows, dolly's or grayling? What sort of lures and tackle should I have? I don't have much in regards to fly fishing gear just light spinning tackle. Any info you could share will be helpful. Thanks

You going to have a boat? You could jig the holes for lakers. Daredevils are a good lure for lake trout. Go to the fish and game website, they've got a bathymetric map of the lake.

I'm told all the small lakes around there have grayling, but I've never fished them in that area.

If you don't have a boat, tough luck. You probably won't catch much.

If you have a boat or canoe you can troll pretty easily. Find a steep dropoff and jig or troll along it. Evening and early morning the fish will come shallower. They like krocodiles and daredevils.

Remember that these days it's single hook, no bait.

Single hook only. No bait. No size limit. One per day, one in possession. There are no rainbows in LL. I've never caught a decent sized grayling in LL.

Expect the fish to be between 25-35 FOW depending on water temps. The lake is high so it isn't warming up as fast as normal.

Expect increased channel traffic due to RC566. Channel 10 VHF. Instructions for the channel are at the launch and lodges.

I won't be having my own boat but I know they rent boat thru the lodge upon where I'll be staying in an RV at. I've located the map web site and see where the deep holes are at. Are there any certain colors that work better than others? I suppose i could give the lodge a call a couple days before we head there to find out what I should have and get it while I'm in Anchorage. thanks for the replys!!

if your trolling kwikfish work good as well with the use of a diver.

Yea i watched a show where this guy was using a jointed articulating kwik fish lure in a rainbow trout pattern. I found them online but I don't think they are made or sold anymore. Go you use just a regular kwikfish and what size and color pattern do you use? I ask cause I have a ton of kwik fish that I've used down in Oregom/Washington for salmon. Do you also use any kinds of scents etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by RadFisher View Post
    Yea i watched a show where this guy was using a jointed articulating kwik fish lure in a rainbow trout pattern. I found them online but I don't think they are made or sold anymore. Go you use just a regular kwikfish and what size and color pattern do you use? I ask cause I have a ton of kwik fish that I've used down in Oregom/Washington for salmon. Do you also use any kinds of scents etc.?

Scent qualifies as bait under the regulations, therefor, it is illegal in Lake Louise at this time.

Thanks for reminding me of that .338WM