Thread: Trailhead recommendations - Whittier Area

Default Trailhead recommendations - Whittier Area

Good day.

We're scheduled to come off the North Slope on 9/4....but our flight home from Anchorage isn't until 9/9. We built in the extra time to allow for weather delays.

*IF* we come off the tundra on schedule, we plan to spend some time along the coast. Hike a few trails...maybe charter some fishing.

We will only have a rental car for transportation...no 4X4.

Can someone recommend a good accessible trail head that offers exceptional scenery in the Whittier area...or even further down on Kenai? This is my 1st trip to Alaska...and I'd like to soak in as much as possible.

We've considered doing some hunting, but the reality is, we're probably talking three days maximum. Doubtful that will happen. I assume black bear can be found just about anywhere in that area.....but generally how far east of Whittier would one need to go for good numbers of Sitka blacktail deer?

Appreciate the feedback as always.

Paul

Whittier "trails" are almost non-existent unless you have access to a boat. You'd be hard-pressed to find any deer near Whittier without a boat -- even then, that early in the season you'd have to get up high to find them. If you're not experienced in ocean boating, don't even attempt it as a DIY with a boat rental since the tidal influences and weather changes here can really be dangerous.

However, if you're interested in scenery, the drive down the Seward Hwy south of Anchorage is pretty awesome. A short detour into Portage Valley (the road to Whittier) is also an easy way to see some glaciers in a nice valley, and you can take a short tour boat ride out to Portage Glacier on Portage Lake. The drive all the way down to Seward is great on a nice day. If you just want to hike, here's a start as you drive down the Kenai Peninsula: http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/aktrails/ats/ken-ats.htm

Spot-n-stalk for black bears is a possibilty, as they may be up on open hillsides feeding on berries. Make sure you read up on the regs and have all necessary tags. http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ations.hunting

Also, if you want some scenic boat tours out of Whittier or Seward, here's some info: http://www.majormarine.com/?gclid=CL...FRGEhwodk28A_A

http://www.kenaifjords.com/kenai-daycruises.html

Here's a good map source to leek at topo and satallite images. Zoom in/out and scroll around the areas you're interested in: http://mapper.acme.com/

First off, where in Indiana you from? I am from around Decatur. Second, if you go thru tunnel and I think you pass the outhouse then turn right on a stone road, only road there. It goes back in there a bit and is a trail that goes up and over back into the bear valley side. You gain 8-900 feet in elevation then drop back down to the portage lake. From there you can hang a left along the shore and make your way up the nice water fall, cross creek and go to the glacier. Would be a fun a hike for you to see some beautiful country you can't fully see from the road. I know people who have done and loved it. I have taken the boat tour, pretty cool too, but would have rather hiked it myself! Johnson pass trail is a cool hike, just down the road about a half hour up in turnagain pass. More trails up there and def legal to bear hunt. As you drive up the pass, there will be a parking lot on the left, trails takes off from there, heard they are putting in a new one or stoning one that was already there. Bears there for sure. But pretty brushy and very green. Some stuff might be dying off by then offering a bit more view for bear hunting. Then there is Hope with the resurection trail or porcupine trail-that one takes along the coast.

Appreciate the feedback guys. (I'm from Seymour, Indiana....south central part of the state)

Given the short window we're looking at, cool scenery is top priority. If there are black bear in that cool scenery...that's a bonus.
    Just trying to avoid selecting a trail that only offers a view of dense underbrush for several miles.

We both have two caribou tags....so if any of those tags come off the tundra with us....and we're hiking in a bear hunting area...the bows will likely come along. If we tag out on caribou, I have some reservations about investing on a two day bear tag. Hoping to spend one day on a charter....take in the sights and maybe catch a few fish. Can't really schedule that in advance though....so the charter may be a pipe dream?

Again, appreciate the feedback. Flying up exactly one month from today....but who's counting.

Whittier is part of GMU 6D. Black bear does not open until September 10, so you will miss the opening by a day. Lots of trails along the Seward highway that will get you into black bears and the season will be open.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.