Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quest. on Possession Limits & Minors

Default Quest. on Possession Limits & Minors

Hey guys, I'm look for a little clarification on possession limits with regards to unlicensed minor children fishing with a licensed adult.

It's my interpretation that unlicensed minors fishing with a licensed adult do not get their own bag and possession limit, but their accompanying licensed adult shares his or her limit with the minor, and the minor records his or her catch on the white harvest record. (Example: Father and son fishing for trout. Possession limit is 20. They can't take home 40 trout.) Is this correct, and does this also apply to hunting limits as well? (Same example only say grouse.)

(Their has been some discussion in the family group on this with some saying that the minor also gets to take his or her own full limit same as the adult.)

Thanks for any help clarifying this.

I found this old thread here that this was talked about.Looks like they get their own limits as well.http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/15852-Kids-fishing-what-age-do-they-need-a-license

Limits are separate...

"Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

But, technically, the child must be the one to hook and reel in the fish.

As for the hunting part i believe they have to be old enough to get a hunters safety class in order to hunt and take game.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    But, technically, the child must be the one to hook and reel in the fish.
    Yes, I called fish and game about this earlier this year as my niece and nephew were thinking of coming. Just be sure that they hook the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Limits are separate...

Must but one stout and stong little dude to be legally hooking and landing these sockeye on his own...

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Fly Guy View Post
    Must but one stout and stong little dude to be legally hooking and landing these sockeye on his own...
    I wonder if you'd say that to his face? He looks like one stout and strong little dude to me!

Nice job kid
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Kid must be one hell of a fishermen to get his limit of 6 reds!
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

It is the person who hooks the fish that constitutes who caught it (legally) as I understand it. Please correct me if I have interpreted this wrong.
    From the looks of that tough guy, he probably hooked, landed, and gutted them!

Quote Originally Posted by cwm907 View Post
    ...From the looks of that tough guy, he probably hooked, landed, and gutted them!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lake creek fishermen View Post
    Kid must be one hell of a fishermen...
    Looks like it's probably genetic...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Default Let'm hunt but be with'm

Quote Originally Posted by sweepint View Post
    As for the hunting part i believe they have to be old enough to get a hunters safety class in order to hunt and take game.
    No no, as long as your kid is in your direct/immediate control in the field, they can take any game they wish. Then it becomes your harvest to report and it counts as if you had taken it, in regards to all the other myriad rules of how many of what species within what time frame, where, etc....

Of course, when they're approaching 10 yo or after, when they can hit what they aim at repeatedly at the range with a .22, get them the class - its a good one - they'd be happy if you came with, just to see what they're teaching your kid & you can be together the whole time. Its virtually always a very positive experience for all involved. Sorry to preach but I believe its important for all kids to take this class at the earliest possible moment that they can.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    its important for all kids to take this class at the earliest possible moment that they can.
    I did it with my son last summer (age 9-1/2) and he learned a lot. He failed the written test, (He's a very poor test taker; it has been an ongoing issue since 2nd grade.) and they were going to let him retest until he dropped a rifle getting out of the boat durig the field handling test, at which point they failed him. He was in tears.

My point here though is that he learned a lot of good skills that he has retained regardless of test performance. He remembers all of the gun safety stuff even though he only shoots in the summer up here with me.

Anyway, thanks for the input. we're headed out fishing soon. Hoping to bring back a bucket of trout.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    they were going to let him retest until he dropped a rifle getting out of the boat durig the field handling test
    While virtually all the classes are good, they do vary. It could be that the instructors were already stretched too thin, or that they had other reasons, but, there's a real line of thought that he'd have learned more practicing twice more exiting that boat successfully (without dropping it) instead of calling that the end of his boat exercise after one failure.

I'm glad he brought away good info from that class. That says a lot considering his outcome. Good you for getting him there.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Fly Guy View Post
    It was a compliment to the young man, not a slam guys...

FamilyMan

I completetly agree about the classes for the Kidos, as a firearms instructor down range I believe it starts a good foundation. I will be getting my instructor docs to teach the classes in AK this year for both bow and rifle as i have heard they are pretty thin in that area.

I was referring too the kids that will hunt for there own limit i believe have to go to a hunter safety course was my meaning in the earlier post.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    While virtually all the classes are good, they do vary. It could be that the instructors were already stretched too thin, or that they had other reasons, but, there's a real line of thought that he'd have learned more practicing twice more exiting that boat successfully (without dropping it) instead of calling that the end of his boat exercise after one failure.

I'm glad he brought away good info from that class. That says a lot considering his outcome. Good you for getting him there.
    Well nothing I wrote should be construed as diminishing the course or the instructors. He had already failed the written (as I said, poor test taker in any subject), and they had just let him qualify with the rifle using a supported bench rest position. (Everyone else, even kids, did it from sitting or kneeling unsupported. They spoke to me, in private, before they made that final decision, and I agreed with their decision. The heartbreaking part was he and spent an hour a night for almost the entire summer working through the booklet. This summer he begged me not to have to take it again, and I told him he could hunt with me until he's 16, so he won't have t take it again for five more years-and he probably won't.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    This summer he begged me not to have to take it again, and I told him he could hunt with me until he's 16, so he won't have t take it again for five more years-and he probably won't.
    He will no doubt have the best instructor for the next five years... Good job dad!
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Default You really can be his instructor

Quote Originally Posted by AKArcher View Post
    He will no doubt have the best instructor for the next five years... Good job dad!
    AK, thanks for posting that, or I wouldn't have thought of this:

FL, how about during the next 5 years (sooner rather than later) YOU get certified to teach the state's hunter ed. courses? It takes a backround check, driving check, etc... some specialized training and more, but all is fun & worthwhile for all.

You could trick your kid back into the class by making him your assistant instructor, and before you know it - after helping to grade the tests, grade the shooting/gun handling skills, and helping to assess students' abilities - he'll think that passing that class is not so hard after all.

And the repetition factor if he can assistant you for a few classes... priceless. Just a thought - don't mean to pry.

Quote Originally Posted by AKArcher View Post
    Kudos, way too many dads force kids into things and then sour then in the subject entirely. It is a great excuse to go hunting with your son for the next five years! Worst case, he gets sick of you and goes and retakes the class....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast