Thread: Norma bullets

Default Norma bullets

Any of you guys ever use any of the older style Norma bullets? I have come upon a stash of them in the old woodgrain cardboard boxes that I have been loading in 7-08 ammo for my Father. I also have a couple of boxes of 180gr 30cal in red cardboard boxes with reinforced corners and kinda spaghetti western style bubble letters on the top flap. Both are SPBT designs and the 30s shoot better than anything I've ever shot in my old 06, I'm just not sure how they perform when they run into animals, I've never known Norma to make a bad product but I also wasn't alive in the 60's. The jackets seem to be some strange alloy as they are more of a gold color than copper.

Anyways if you guys have any experience with them I'd be interested in hearing your story.

Brian Yukoner Ted has shot a bunch of them maybe he will post. Do you know what kind of Norma,s they are? Kurt

I used to use a lot of them in that era, and they were a heck of a bullet. Got hard to come by so I moved on to other brands, but not because of quality issues. Excellent accuracy and performance on game. The boattails tended to be a little more tender than plain base at close range in terms of weight retention, but that wasn't ever an issue past 100.

Good to hear guys. Maybe Ted with chime in. All the ones I have are the boattails, 150gr .284 and the aforementioned 30s. I'm not pushing them overly hard so I figured they would be fine.

Norma still lists a wide array of hunting bullets, but danged if they're all that easy to come by. I've always believed that if they were more widely distributed, more guys would be trying them and they'd be a lot more popular than they are as a result. The Oryx in particular has a heck of a rep around the world for weight retention and quick kills on game, but I have never popped a cap on it myself and don't know anyone who has.

Seems like it would be premier performer on Alaska game.

I've used a lot of them. Particularly the Alaskan (similar to Barnes Original) and the Vulcan, more like a Grand Slam in design. All good and accurate. I think their whole line is available at Graf & Son.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I like the Norma Oryx, it is an accurate bonded bullet, but what I like is how it opens up on game and exits. The few times I used it, it did very well. Also, was not hard to find an accurate hunting load at all, good bullet.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I have used the old Norma Soft Point 180gr in my old 300 WBY for years. The jacket was Steel Clad.
    Wish they still made them. I am down to a box.
    Norma 240gr SP for the 44Mag was excellet in the ruger carbine and pistol.
    Peterson hunting magazine harvested a polar bear with a SW 29 and the Norma "Tri Clad" 240gr SP.
    I am down to 2 boxes of those.
    Alaska

I had a couple of boxes of the old Norma factory loaded 44 mag with the 240 triclads right before I moved up here. Foolishly, I shot most of them at rocks and steel plates with my then newly acquired Super Blackhawk. Talk about a fireball, and some of the heaviest recoil I've felt from a 44. I have a couple of them left and always say I'm going to use one on a Blackie in the spring, maybe this year.

Growing up in SW Colorado I used a box of Noma (Wood grain) back in the 60's in my Savage 99 308. That was all they had at Taylors Market that day. They were 180 Gr and killed Deer just like the WW stuff. I took 4 Bucks with it that year. One in the Pre Season, two in the regular, and one in the post season. That was back in the day's before I realized that Preimium Ammo and BA rifles were required to kill Deer and Elk.

I still use the 180gr SP Norma with the Steel Clad jacket in my 300 WBY..............sure shoots them well.
    Alaska