Thread: 300 WBY question

Default 300 WBY question

I am trying to load up some rounds and had a question on what you do if you can't get the bullet to reach the lands Or even .50 thousandth from the lands using a oal gauge and leave enough bullet in the neck. I am loading 168 TTSX bullets and just used the coal from the book as a starting point. What does everyone else do? I have never had this issue with other bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    I am trying to load up some rounds and had a question on what you do if you can't get the bullet to reach the lands Or even .50 thousandth from the lands using a oal gauge and leave enough bullet in the neck. I am loading 168 TTSX bullets and just used the coal from the book as a starting point. What does everyone else do? I have never had this issue with other bullets.
    This is a common issue with Weatherby rifles. I'd load them as long as you can for 100% reliable functioning in your rifle and give them a try. No reason to get worked up over the "recommended" coal in the loading manual.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I'm just going from memory, so could be totally off-base on this, but my understanding is one of the main ways Weatherby achieved their high velocities was extended freebore, which I understand as a long distance between the ogive and the lands. This allowed the bullet to accelerate more before engaging the lands. So it doesn't surprise me that you would not be able to get close to the lands, as that would be counter to the design of the Weatherby chamber, perhaps defeating the purpose and costing FPS.

If I'm wrong on this, sorry, someone please correct me. When I load for my Wby rifles, I generally try to load as long as possible but still have no feed problems. Magazine length seems the driving factor.

Chris

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    It's all about Freebore.

Just load the ammo so it feeds well in the mag and loads into the chamber (follow COAL reccomendations). The Weatherby rounds use an extended area in front of the cartridge neck to allow the bullet to accelerate before it engages the rifling (freebore).
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I appreciate all the info. I loaded to the books COAL and they did great. I did load a few longer, that just fit in the magazine but have not had a chance to test them.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Mort View Post
    I'm just going from memory, so could be totally off-base on this, but my understanding is one of the main ways Weatherby achieved their high velocities was extended freebore, which I understand as a long distance between the ogive and the lands. This allowed the bullet to accelerate more before engaging the lands. So it doesn't surprise me that you would not be able to get close to the lands, as that would be counter to the design of the Weatherby chamber, perhaps defeating the purpose and costing FPS.

If I'm wrong on this, sorry, someone please correct me. When I load for my Wby rifles, I generally try to load as long as possible but still have no feed problems. Magazine length seems the driving factor.

Chris
    I don't think you're wrong.

If the bullets could touch or be very close to the lands, it would negate the advantages of the Freebore.

Also, LOADED rounds would not eject from the action, as they would be too long. That is the case with my Mk V, 7mm Weatherby Mag. I load them to the "industry max OAL" which is 3.360.

The "industry max OAL" for the 300 Weatherby is 3.560.

The 300 Weatherby is a Fantastic Cartridge. A 200 Grain bullet at 3000 fps???? What more performance in 30 Caliber could you ever need?

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Thumbs up

Stop trying the Weatherby has a long throat ...........suggest measuring the Weatherby Factory Load with 180 TSX and duplicate COAL......really love that 300 WBY mine is 46 years old this year.

U can also go the Barnes website for COAL info for the 168 TSX.

I really like Reloader 22 in my old Weatherby or Norma Mag Powder .
    Alaska

My Sako 85, in .270wsm is the same,....I couldn't reach anywhere near the lands, with even the longest bullets available,

I also read somewhere, that they build them that way on purpose, so,...

I've done both, use my max magazine length with long bullets, that will seat in the neck well, and still get out to the end of the Magazine,
    and I just give up with the little 110gr superfasts, leave 'em at the book recommended COAL

I've had phenomenal results, both accuracy and velocity with those little bullets, so they must be, "likin' the Jump"
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I wouldn't worry about it. For many years I have loaded my cartridges as long as the magazine will allow so the bullet does not protrude into the powder space. In my Weatherby Mark V 300, I load to 3.600". They feed & eject very well & at that length no projectile touches the lands. Accuracy has never been a problem with any projectile I have used. My load is Norma/Weatherby case, Federal 215 primer, 88gr 2217/H1000 with any 180gr bullet. For outright killing power of big critters I prefer 180gr SS North Forks or 180gr Swift A-Frame. For allround hunting of Wild Goat, Pigs & medium sized ungulates I use 180gr Accubonds. The 300 Weatherby is a very good & capable round for almost all game hunting. Elgin Gates killed Elephant & Polar Bear with his using a 180gr Nosler Partition, but it is not an Elephant gun nor is it a Big bear gun. I see it as a long range rifle for game up to the size & weight of Elk & the African Ungulates. My favorite for big bad is my CZ550 9.3x62 with 250gr SS North Forks or the same at 286gr.

Quote Originally Posted by Beau9 View Post
    I see it as a long range rifle for game up to the size & weight of Elk & the African Ungulates.
    Whats your definition of long range and where does an Alaskan moose fall into the picture? Too many people underestimate the ability of there rifle but at the same time way too many people over estimate there rifles abilitys. The 300 WBY, with a quality bullet will drop the largest moose at 300 yards or greater with out a problem. Shot placement is the part the hunter has to make happen. I use 300 yards as the example since I have no intentions of shooting farther due to my abilitys, not the rifles. For large bear, I wouldn't hesitate to use the same rifle. If I was in heavy brush and up close I would prefer something bigger and badder but at that moment don't we all! Kidding aside, there is a time and place for every caliber. I have hunted with the WBY for years and never felt under gunned or had the rifle let me down.

For the most part with hunting rifles I think the idea of getting close to the lands is way over rated. With BR rifles where winning or losing may depend on .010 or .020" in group size, getting a certain distance from the lands can make the difference. With a hunting rifle is it really going to make a difference if your group is 1 1/4" or 1"? Load them to give a little clearance in the mag or seat them deeper if you don't have enough bullet in the neck.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    For the most part with hunting rifles I think the idea of getting close to the lands is way over rated. With BR rifles where winning or losing may depend on .010 or .020" in group size, getting a certain distance from the lands can make the difference. With a hunting rifle is it really going to make a difference if your group is 1 1/4" or 1"? Load them to give a little clearance in the mag or seat them deeper if you don't have enough bullet in the neck.
    Well, I agree, based on my limited experience. It's like fishin. "Whatever Works".

I don't know that seating "very close" to the lands helps the BR folks that much either.

It may be, that it's just what they THINK, so they attribute their successes to that, not even trying anything different.

I knew a guy who shot 1K BR, and I watched them shoot, and I heard them talk, and IMO, most of those folks don't know all that much, they just copy each other.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I knew a guy who shot 1K BR, and I watched them shoot, and I heard them talk, and IMO, most of those folks don't know all that much, they just copy each other.

Smitty of the North
    I agree with you Smitty.

I think that statement is true about most folks concerning most things, not just the 1K yard BR folks and shooting.......
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.