Thread: Salmon meat quality

Default Salmon meat quality

Hello,
    Went dipping Saturday night and Sunday. Bled fish and kept in coolers on ice, drained coolers and kept ice fresh. When filleting this morning, less than two days from earliest catch, I noticed a few of the fish from my Saturday night catch, when bending the fillets, the meat would open up/flake for lack of a better term. The fish has no foul odor whatsoever and looks good other than this issue.
    I made sure the fish stayed on ice the whole trip. When fish was caught it was bled and went directly to a iced cooler I did not gut the fish as I was trying to keep beach sand out. Just wondering if there are any other ways I can make sure the fillets are good. My instinct is that I have reduced the quality by not gutting but that they will be good. Thanks for any input.
    Got a few of it down

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

That's called gaping. In mild cases, it's more a matter of aesthetics, however in more severe cases, it is a matter of reduced quality. Gaping is most commonly caused by temperature abuse...the fish was not kept cold enough, however rough handling like bending the fish while in rigor will cause gaping as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    That's called gaping. In mild cases, it's more a matter of aesthetics, however in more severe cases, it is a matter of reduced quality. Gaping is most commonly caused by temperature abuse...the fish was not kept cold enough, however rough handling like bending the fish while in rigor will cause gaping as well.
    Thanks very much for the reply. Thinking back, I believe I noticed it only on the larger fish which I had to straighten out of the cooler to fillet. They were always on ice, they all smelled pleasant too.
    Thanks again
    Got a few of it down

The temperature drop on a round fish will be much much slower than one with ice in the belly cavity. I have had the same thing happen to iced fish but only when not cleaned immediately.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

For what it's worth, silvers are much more prone to gaping than any of the other salmon.