Thread: Homer Shore Fishing

Default Homer Shore Fishing

well ill be in homer this weekend. I will be down there with some friends, and im bringing an 18 foot skiff to do some fishing. I feel confident about fishing for halibut fishing from the boat, but my wife is coming and is not to keen on going out in the boat. she is quite scared of being out on the water so i told her i would work on some shore fishing for her to do. i have heard of people catching some good fish from the shore but i have never done it. was wondering if i could get some pointers on what type of gear people use and maybe what part of the tides to hit. any info will be helpful, it would be nice to just get her in the boat but ive been working on that for a couple of years with hardly any luck. thanks in advance guys and gals.

I will be in Homer at the end of August, and would like the same info. I know about the fishing hole, but don't know about when the best time to fish in terms of tides.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

I fished down there for the first time last month. We hit a low tide and chucked pieces of herring near the pillars (between lands end and the ferry terminal I think). We caught flounder almost every other cast, 1 pollock and 1 starfish.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Fished from right side of spit ( in front of condos) weekend of July 7. Stopped at last tackle store on spit on right and bought one $3 leader set up with double hook and weight so I could make my own and see how they did it. Didn't have to make another one. Bought 2 bags of green pouched herring, which I cut up in halves. Caught about 20 + pollock ( sometimes two at a time) and the biggest flounder I have ever seen in front of condos, where no one else was fishing, in about 1 1/2 hrs at high tide. And drank beer from my lounge chair. No cod though. Good luck.

End of the spit is your ticket. There are pollack galore down there and flounder as well. Ive seen some irish lords and some other weird stuff caught as well. Just chuck some herring and lead and you'll catch fish.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Thanks for the help should make the wife happy just to catch somthing

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=61.591879,-149.310079

Thanks for the information! Much appreciated!