Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worst Shrimp Pot Buoy I have ever seen.....

Default Worst Shrimp Pot Buoy I have ever seen.....

Last trip out I was running towards Whittier in Passage Canal and I spot something I can not identify on the water. I decide to run over and take a look. I guess this was a shrimp pot buoy (in about 500 ft of water), but its the worst example I have ever seen. No name, no number and the buoy itself is questionable as far as I am concerned. The only good thing I can say is that its big and was easy to see.

IMG_0105.jpg
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

If you use an innertube for a shrimp pot bouy...you might be a redneck

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    ....might be a redneck
    Aint none o them in Alaska!
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    Last trip out I was running towards Whittier in Passage Canal and I spot something I can not identify on the water. I decide to run over and take a look. I guess this was a shrimp pot buoy (in about 500 ft of water), but its the worst example I have ever seen. No name, no number and the buoy itself is questionable as far as I am concerned. The only good thing I can say is that its big and was easy to see.

IMG_0105.jpg

Hey man, you aren't the one that pulled my pot and stole all my shrimp are you?
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Aint none o them in Alaska!
    Did the MatSu secede from the state?

I have seen a gas can attached to something out in nellie juan. I dont know if it was a shrimp line or maybe a mouring bouy. I just thought it was floatint so we went to pick it up, and noticed it had a rop attached to it with a simple square knot. sitting in about 375 feet of water, i just assumed it was some illegal shrimping. I didnt pull it up due to the weather coming in and it was getting dark.

What made it illegal?
    Was it not marked? I don't remember seeing a requirement on buoy type or size or color.
    Me personally I use Steves low drag buoys with a 4 foot high flyer with a yellow flag with a black stripe. Easy to see, easy to grab, easy to identify.

Shrimp%20Setup.jpg

Well kinda like that I guess
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

First post says no name, no number, so I think that's the illegal part. I know someone who once used an empty plastic Tide detergent bottle for a shrimp buoy. An an old turkey carcass for bait. Saw an unmarked buoy a couple of weeks ago. If you're going to go to the trouble and expense to shrimp, then it might be a good idea to read the regs beforehand.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by jojomoose View Post
    I have seen a gas can attached to something out in nellie juan. I dont know if it was a shrimp line or maybe a mouring bouy. I just thought it was floatint so we went to pick it up, and noticed it had a rop attached to it with a simple square knot. sitting in about 375 feet of water, i just assumed it was some illegal shrimping. I didnt pull it up due to the weather coming in and it was getting dark.
    Why would you even consider pulling it up? Regardless of the amount of light or impending weather, if it aint yours, leave it alone.

Sorry, Imeant Jojo's post about the fuel can being used as a buoy
    Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    First post says no name, no number, so I think that's the illegal part. I know someone who once used an empty plastic Tide detergent bottle for a shrimp buoy. An an old turkey carcass for bait. Saw an unmarked buoy a couple of weeks ago. If you're going to go to the trouble and expense to shrimp, then it might be a good idea to read the regs beforehand.
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post
    What made it illegal?
    Was it not marked? I don't remember seeing a requirement on buoy type or size or color.
    Me personally I use Steves low drag buoys with a 4 foot high flyer with a yellow flag with a black stripe. Easy to see, easy to grab, easy to identify.

Shrimp%20Setup.jpg

Well kinda like that I guess
    I like that high flyer with the flag, that would be easy to see a long way off.

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

You guys are def. right....I was only going to pick it up if it was a drifting fuel can (nobody likes trash floating out there). And once i saw there was nothing written on it, but there was a rope attached to it. It got my curiosity going, but you guys are right if it aint mine dont touch it, but come on dont you want to know what is tied to an unmarked gas can at 375'??????? gets you thinking.

but come on dont you want to know what is tied to an unmarked gas can at 375'??????? gets you thinking.
    A Body.....???
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

You guys are def. right....I was only going to pick it up if it was a drifting fuel can (nobody likes trash floating out there). And once i saw there was nothing written on it, but there was a rope attached to it. It got my curiosity going, but you guys are right if it aint mine dont touch it, but come on dont you want to know what is tied to an unmarked gas can at 375'??????? gets you thinking.
    Yep... Right up to the point that F&G shows up and tags you for the gear... OOooops Curiosity killed the cat!

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Kings View Post
    A Body.....???
    I know a few that would "volunteer"...........
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Thanks JR.
    It makes it way easy to find.
    Plus all I had to do to get the flag made was buy the wife a 600.00 Husquvarna Sewing machine.............
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Thanks JR.
    It makes it way easy to find.
    Plus all I had to do to get the flag made was buy the wife a 600.00 Husquvarna Sewing machine.............
    Sounds about right to me.

[QUOTE=Alaskanmutt;1149560]What made it illegal?

Shrimp%20Setup.jpg

Nice looking rigging but if it was me i would tie the LD buoy and the high flyer on seperatly, that way if the snap/caribiner rolls off/comes undone/get wacked by a boat and cut off you'll lose both buoys and the gear, at least if they are tied on seperate you have a chance of saving one buoy. Just my opinion??

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Good thought Steve.
    I guess I have some rerigging to do before the weekend
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Good thought Steve.
    I guess I have some rerigging to do before the weekend
    Don't want ya to add to the 1500 pots that were lost over the last 2 years !!!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast