Thread: Help: Salmon roe with circle hook tragedy

Default Help: Salmon roe with circle hook tragedy

So last week I landed a nice 36" king with a J-hook/salmon-roe combo. Because I wasn't actively tending to my pole at the time, the hook buried deep in the stomach of the king before I could set the hook. So being the clever guy I thought I was, I decided to go to circle hooks. Works for halibut right?

So this morning I'm running a circle hook, sipping my coffee, swatting mosquitoes. I'm not sure the official size spec of the circle hook I was using but it was approximately an inch in diameter. Suddenly, ZING. King on. I fight it for about 10 seconds, and pop. That tragic moment when the line goes limp and you know the fish is free. All that comes back is bare hook.

So... where did it all go wrong? Am I running too small of a circle hook? Was it plain bad luck? Are circle hooks simply not cut out for the salmon egg style of fishing?

We use them all the time for silvers and probably hook even more than with J hooks, so I doubt design is the issue. But the size you're using sounds about like what we're using for silvers.

Some fish are just lost and that's that, even hali's on circle hooks. We've found it best to do a firm pull with more and more pressure after we feel the fish, rather than a hard jerk like setting a J hook though. Kinda hard to describe right, but for us hard jerks result in missed or lost fish.

Ya, I'm pretty familiar with the hook setting differences between J vs circle. I didn't yank-set the hook. I simply applied solid pressure and began reeling. Maybe it hooked in a soft spot in the corner of the mouth and tore through. Bigger hook might solve that. Shrug.