Thread: The Oliktok Point Small Boat Harbor

Default The Oliktok Point Small Boat Harbor

Thought some of you might like to see the small boat harbor at Oliktok point here on the slope. These three boats run people and freight out to the two islands near by to supply the drilling operations there. The two on the right are Maxwelds (I think the last two ever built) and the right is an Armstrong. All run dual jet pumps. Later this week I will be taking my first ride on one of the Maxwelds.

IMG_0164.jpg
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

On a side note in the background of the photo on the left side you can see the Oliktok Point DEW line station.

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Thanks for the post and pic. My wife works at ENI and has been out to Spy Island in the Armstrong. Years ago we used to drive out to Oliktok Pt from Kuparuk for something to do after work.
    SeaULater

There must not be much tidal action up there from the looks of it. Nice cats.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

U are correct spoiled one. Most of that area is relativity shallow and there are various barrier islands that shield the coast.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    At low tide there is just enough beach to get an F350 ford pickup on it, as one of my FORMER coworkers found out
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Is rig 245E still there?

I worked on her the first winter she was at Oliktok Point....

Zoomed in on the Lampson tracks she moved on...

Lampson tracks are what NASA used for their tracked vehicle. 245 had four of them, as the rig split in two, lengthwise as seen in the above picture.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Is rig 245E still there?

I worked on her the first winter she was at Oliktok Point....

Yes she is, we are about to stack her out though
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Tidal action was measured in inches. But the wind would move water levels considerably.

An east wind would lower levels, a western wind would raise levels. We're talking feet due to wind, not inches.

As long as you guys do not plan on bringing 245 back through Kuparuk that would be cool. When that thing moved a few years ago it was amazing what it did to frozen solid roads. Pretty impressive to watch something that big move on its own in -40.

Turns out all three of them are Armstrongs... very nice.

On the ride out today I watched the depth finder.... deepest point I saw was 9 ft.... the tide here is 1 ft plus or minus..