Thread: Susitna-Watana Hydro Workgroup

Default Susitna-Watana Hydro Workgroup

This just came in this morning. Don't know if anyone is interested but here it is anyway.

Susitna-Watana Hydro Workgroup Participants-

This is the first email being sent through the new workgroup listserve. If there are folks that you feel need to be added, or if you feel that youíve received this message in error, here is the link to join/leave the group: http://list.state.ak.us/soalists/Sus...rkgroup/jl.htm
    Agendas for the August formal study plan meetings will be sent this week. All meetings will be held in the large conference room on the first floor of the Sunshine Mall from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
    Here is a general topic list:

Aug. 8: Social Sciences
    Aug. 9: Terrestrial Resources (Wildlife and Botanical0
    Aug. 15: Fisheries (including Cook Inlet Beluga Whale)
    Aug. 16: Instream Flow, Hydrology, Groundwater, Glacial Runoff
    Aug. 17: Geomorphology, Ice Processes, Water Quality, Mercury Bio Accumulation

Agendas will follow as will GoTo Meeting and conference call information.
    As a reminder, this account will be used to communicate with workgroup participants. The previous listserve will be used for periodic updates on the project.
    Regards,

Emily

Emily Ford

Public Outreach Liaison

Alaska Energy Authority

Susitna-Watana Hydroelectric Project

411 W. Fourth Avenue, Suite 1, Anchorage, AK 99501

Phone: 907-771-3961

http://susitna-watanahydro.org/
    Chuck

Interesting that there is no workgroup on the need for the power. That's a central question for the licensing entity (FERC). Who is going to use the power and where will it go? If it's going to be used in the Great Land, they should have some idea of what the future demand forecasts are for Anchorage and vicinity. But my sense is that the power will bypass Anchorage entirely. So then, where will it go?

Perhaps someplace where they turn big rocks into small rocks............ Pebble.

Quote Originally Posted by Cohoangler View Post
    Interesting that there is no workgroup on the need for the power. That's a central question for the licensing entity (FERC). Who is going to use the power and where will it go? If it's going to be used in the Great Land, they should have some idea of what the future demand forecasts are for Anchorage and vicinity. But my sense is that the power will bypass Anchorage entirely. So then, where will it go?

Perhaps someplace where they turn big rocks into small rocks............ Pebble.
    And a private NG line from the inlet. But hey ya gotta be pro development,right?

Pebble would be 300+ miles away - as the crow flies. That's farther than from Anchorage to Fairbanks - again, as the crow flies.

I think it's a stretch to imply that the Dam is being developed to power Pebble.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Thanks Rod, but transmitting power over that distance is a walk-in-the-park. Its quite feasible. Also, mines like Pebble require an enormous amount of energy to operate. Where will that energy come from? The Bristol Bay watershed doesn't have alot of readily available sources of energy that could power Pebble. Maybe I'm completely off-base, but I don't think it's a stretch to put the Susitna Project and Pebble Mine in the same basket.

in the state seperated from the lower 48 by Canada

That is a very interesting comment.....
    Thanks Rod, but transmitting power over that distance is a walk-in-the-park. Its quite feasible. Also, mines like Pebble require an enormous amount of energy to operate. Where will that energy come from? The Bristol Bay watershed doesn't have alot of readily available sources of energy that could power Pebble. Maybe I'm completely off-base, but I don't think it's a stretch to put the Susitna Project and Pebble Mine in the same basket.

Bristol Bay residents will have cash to demand more and cheaper energy once they're Pebble paycheck arrives!