Thread: Seward salmon étiquette.....

Default Seward salmon étiquette.....

There is fairly decent salmon fishing right now in Seward but every time someone runs, on step, ( that means making a wake) back to take another drift, they are scattering the schools of salmon. I heard guys yelling on the radio about it yesterday. The best thing to do is IDLE back up on the drift or to the fleet boats if you want to see if they catching anything and then stop and go fishing or IDLE away and go somewhere else. The time you will waste slowing down, you will make up with better fishing.

Believe me, I am out very day and as many of you have seen, we do not spend much time not catching salmon...

Ripping though a group of boats at speed while you are looking to see if they are catching is a complete bonehead move as is powering back up to get on the drift again.

It may work on the Kenai where the salmon really don't have anywhere better to move to, but in Seward it shuts down the fishing for everyone.

Basic courtesy is much appreciated it. Even if you see some flat lander charter operator from deep creek pulling the same rookie move, it doesn't make it right.

Enjoy the season, there are fish from Pony to Lowell Point....Play nice and have fun.

Plus I've caught lots of silvers while idling back while keeping my bait in the water.

AKCAPT,

Really appreciate the lesson. Being new here, that helps so when I do decide to try the mooching for salmon, I'm not the idiot running on step trying to get back up to the top of the drift.

This weekend while passing through Cheval, I saw a few boats blast right through all the others throwing wake everywhere. I'm not sure if they do it on purpose or they are just ignorant.
    TIGHT LINES...ALASKA!!
    2005 Trophy Pro 2359
    "Nut-N-Honey"

Andy,

Thanks for posting. I typically troll and I try not to be on step near other boats due to the wake, but I would have not thought that it effects the fishing down 20-80 feet in the water. I know you have some pretty good electronics and know more about what is going on in the water more than the rest of us, and I appreciate the advice.

Do you think this effects kings as well? I am thinking about in the spring time offshore fishing. We troll one direction, but then pick up and run back due to the current, and we typically run right over our hot spots. How wide do you think we need to be of the fishing area not to effect the fish?
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    Do you think this effects kings as well? I am thinking about in the spring time offshore fishing. We troll one direction, but then pick up and run back due to the current, and we typically run right over our hot spots. How wide do you think we need to be of the fishing area not to effect the fish?
    Dunno about deep, but I can sure speak up for it being an issue shallow. I just did it to myself a couple of days back. Had a good bite going trolling one direction in 30' of water. The tide would be turning in half an hour and I wanted to make one more pass. Stomped on it and circled a little close, then set the lines. Nada. Those fish scattered like chickens under a hawk.

Along the same lines, I drop my baits/lures way back when the kings are shallow. I'm back 100' or more with 1 oz weights when the fish get into 15' or less. I've seen them dashing away from the boat in 5-6' of water, but clearly they circle back behind the boat after you pass. But the further back you trail the lines, the more fish you catch. Every time I see guys trolling close together in shallow water I point the boat in another direction.

Even, if you aren't scattering the fish, it is simply RUDE to go through the other boats creating a large wake!!!
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Kings View Post
    Even, if you aren't scattering the fish, it is simply RUDE to go through the other boats creating a large wake!!!

Unless your in a kayak flipping boaters as they go by, then I whip a yeueee and give em the toilet bowl treatment.

Wait a minute .... ???

Isn't it all about getting out there and blowing off steam from a rough week at work? go go go, get mine!

Pedal to the metal, just like the Glenn Hwy 500 ...

Glad I am running my own business now and I pick my boating time in the middle of the week ...

Docks are cool, lot's of room between me and the next boat, leave the bay and you are by yourself.

We all need to respect the rights of others and get smart about this before we launch out of Seward, that is why these posts help to educate the new guy that just got a loan for a bay boat and is new to the ocean world.

Fortunately we only use guns to dispatch a shooter halibut ....

Or maybe not cutting in behind some when they're fighting a few, let alone 3. Give them some space, kings can burn a lot of line off in a hurry, had a number of guys try and cut 100' behind me when they saw me hoko up last year. Even if they're not, you have no idea if they have divers back when trolling unless you really look.

I was caught up in an anchor-pulling rodeo this past weekend. Guide a ways over decided to pull anchor. Caught the anchor rode of another guide boat, which started moving my direction across my anchor rode. Amazingly, they didn't catch me. The captive did a great job of starting his motor and avoiding my boat, still had to "chat" with the other captain about what was going on before it got sorted out.

This is great advice about the effect on the fishing (not only the boat) of moving around in an area that seems to be holding salmon. While I try to avoid upsetting boats with my wake, I didn't know the effect it could have on the fish. Thanks Andy!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Mort View Post
    I was caught up in an anchor-pulling rodeo this past weekend. Guide a ways over decided to pull anchor. Caught the anchor rode of another guide boat, which started moving my direction across my anchor rode. Amazingly, they didn't catch me. The captive did a great job of starting his motor and avoiding my boat, still had to "chat" with the other captain about what was going on before it got sorted out.

This is great advice about the effect on the fishing (not only the boat) of moving around in an area that seems to be holding salmon. While I try to avoid upsetting boats with my wake, I didn't know the effect it could have on the fish. Thanks Andy!
    I saw all that!!! That could have turned out way worse than it did.

In my experience the biggest wave you can make is going slower. It seems that when you are on step you make a smaller wake. Maybe I'm wrong here, but that's what I've seen.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    In my experience the biggest wave you can make is going slower. It seems that when you are on step you make a smaller wake. Maybe I'm wrong here, but that's what I've seen.
    So that makes it ok to speed past a group trolling & scatter the fish and hope one one mose in your path and you have to steer clear & hit some one, or tear up someones gear. Happens all the time off Cain's Head as they cut thru headed for Pony. I have been hit so hard by a wake that it threw stuff off table & seats. I radio'ed a thank you and made sure to us Name & boat number.

The smallest wake you can make is still the one that happens when you're going at idle speed. Then the wake when you're on step. Worst of course is when you're pushing a big wall of water. But to get on step, you first have to push a big wall of water. If someone has to get on step to reposition, then maybe the best thing to do is to idle out beyond where the boats are and then do it. Then idle again before you get near the boats again.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    ... the best thing to do is to idle out beyond where the boats are and then do it. Then idle again before you get near the boats again.
    It REALLY IS that simple.

Well I have a confession to make. At the end of a "lap", I always pull my gear, switch to my main engine, and run back up current. With very good fishing results too. I usually steer my boat out away from the boat crowd first though. I have a little skiff so I can't really generate much wake anyway. If anyone's been pissed off, they haven't let me know.

That fishing at PC with lots of boats is insane. It seems like the craziest is when you get that mixture of people that are trolling with the boats that are mooching. People zig-zagging all over and stuff. You don't know if you should go right or left or just panic and pull your gear up. It's high stress mixed with fun. Fish being caught everywhere. I find it amazing how many people are out there and being grumpy. You spend all that money on a boat to go out and have fun and then spend your time yelling at other boaters. I try to be considerate and just have a blast, but am amazed at people that seem to be in a bad mood out there. Maybe they forget how much of an amazing experience they are having, or maybe it's just work to them. Anyway I hope you all are having fun, I miss my boat!
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Was trolling just off the point SE of Pony yesterday when a moocher came right in front of us and dropped lines with nobody at the controls. They hooked the only silver we saw caught [fished only 2 hours out there] Friday and thought thaey were "all that". I could care less about their fish but what I was VERY concernerd with is the fact they dang near HIT US. Had I not yelled over to them we'd surely made contact as they had us pinned inshore to shallow water and rocks. This ccoupled with healping with search & recovery of the capsized boat brought us home early. Sad that we've lost yet another boater due to not wearing a life jacket...we wear ours.

Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    That fishing at PC with lots of boats is insane. It seems like the craziest is when you get that mixture of people that are trolling with the boats that are mooching. People zig-zagging all over and stuff. You don't know if you should go right or left or just panic and pull your gear up. It's high stress mixed with fun. Fish being caught everywhere. I find it amazing how many people are out there and being grumpy. You spend all that money on a boat to go out and have fun and then spend your time yelling at other boaters. I try to be considerate and just have a blast, but am amazed at people that seem to be in a bad mood out there. Maybe they forget how much of an amazing experience they are having, or maybe it's just work to them. Anyway I hope you all are having fun, I miss my boat!

AKLUV, good on you for helping in the search. Always another day to fish and have fun. Good reminder"always wear a life preserver "