Thread: Sag/Floating/hunting questions

Default Sag/Floating/hunting questions

Going up there for the first time this year with a raft. We are planning on floating parts of the Sag by putting in around the Ice Cut area. I was wondering what rafting north of there is like as far as difficulty? It looks to me as if the river only gets about 2miles away from the road going north right? We have four guys and were planning on taking turns rafting/driving to take-out points but was wondering if there would be any chance of catching a ride with someone after leaving a vehicle at the next spot so we could float together because we will have just one vehicle? We will be bowhunting and possibly rifle hunting. Any advice would be appreciated. I posted this on the rafting forum as well but thought it might get more attention here?
    Thank you,
    Greg

Stop in at Happy Valley and I am sure for a few dollars you could get someone to give you guys a ride or move a truck for you guys... There is usually people coming and going there so it should be fairly easy to catch a ride... Good Luck

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
    Stop in at Happy Valley and I am sure for a few dollars you could get someone to give you guys a ride or move a truck for you guys... There is usually people coming and going there so it should be fairly easy to catch a ride... Good Luck
    Sorry to say Bigdog -

NOT the case at all... people that far out are watching their gas and most generally keeping/tending to their own trip or work agendas plus overall travel safety. It's a long ways away - so not out of lack of generosity - just is what it is.

Anyone headed up that away for pretty much any reason should have reasonable planning for put-ins and take-outs including contingency built into the trip. The later in the season it gets to be --- the far more important this becomes. Maybe trust luck, but on a cold and long trek you'll feel mighty unlucky.

I guess I have been lucky so far... becuz I have gone three for three on flying out of Happy Valley and having people shuttle me over to the take out drop off the truck and then get a ride back... granted they may have been influenced with some cash or beer or both but was able to get it done. I have always ran into other road hunters that helped us out.... That being said maybe I have been really lucky??? Good Luck Guys

Yep - me to being lucky over the years... friends or acquaintances happening to be in the area or mingling around road system bow-hunting etc. I like you have been lucky one way or the other - thankfully. These days, just seems increasingly/more competitive agendas, most certainly (well-founded) safety concerns, plus the what if not lucky presents a real issue when the weather is terrible, getting off the river with bad timing, unlucky, etc.

Greg, if I were in your situation with four guys I would have two guys float from ice cut and have the two other guys bowhunt the road... I have often thought about this same endevour that you are doing wondering exactly how far off the road I could get with a raft in that area. When I travel from WI I now just fly out and float back to the road. Bowhunting off the road can be good at times, but for the most part I just get pissed after the first ten guys cut me off on my stalk. I find it to be cheaper to pay for a flight than to get in a fight with some jackass about a stalk I was making and end up in jail for beating him senseless... Ha Ha I was lucky I first went up there in the 90's when I was going to college at UAF and it seemed like we had the whole place to our selves, at least during the week... Times have changed and people are not real respectful when you are up there making stalks... but it can be done and I would still do it if I had to decide between going there and hunting off the road or not hunting at all, so good luck and post some pictures for us it is a great trip and still better than any hunting I can do here in WI... Good Luck

I've hitchhiked after a fly out float hunt from Pump Station #2 all the way to Coldfoot. It took time and patience. 8 hours of standing on the road waiting for the right person. Ended up being a sheep hunter coming South from Deadhorse.
    Good Luck!!
    I've given rides up there also, as long as I can find room for a body in my truck!

When are you headed up there?