Thread: DS203 Sheep

Default DS203 Sheep

My head hurts just thinking about all the possibilities for sheep in Delta. Less than 3 weeks away and I need to figure out which drainage I want to go down. I have narrowed it down to 2 spots. If I cant make up my mind by Wed, I am just going to draw straws. I would like to get into one of these areas this weekend to preplant some supplies and gear for the walk in. Might as well make it easier on myself beings I will probably be doing it solo due to lack of interest by others. Anyone else getting excited?

Quote Originally Posted by nwf99 View Post
    Anyone else getting excited?
    Little bit. Just oiled my boots today, and went through the mental list for the thousandth time....

I have to tell this story which I swear is true even though I know no one will believe it. I got a sheep permit years ago in a popular hiking area. We hiked in earlier with gear and food and went in the next week and lived like kings for 5 days with all the food and gear and tarps which was great cause it monsooned on us the entire time. When it came time to pack out we found out that you have to pack everything out also and we had way too much ****. Well along came two women with empty packs who said they were just out hiking training for a sheep hunt next week. We joked maybe they could help us pack our sheep out. Well they each took a load and we got out no problem. Swear..

I really wouldnt pack in stuff early as you have to carry it all out too and you will have too much stuff!
    “I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. “ Fred Bear

I've done a DCUA walkin twice and had considered that approach but dont' know what I'd stash and don't think I'd trust to be there if I needed it. A guy could stash some food but how much weight would that be? 5-10lbs? I wouldn't head in on a 10 day with not enough food in my pack for the whole trip. No way I'd stash optics, tent or bag, etc. We went this route instead...

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

Were they hot? I see your point on taking it out. I might have to call down to Delta and get clarification on that. But it does look like I possibly found a partner so I might not have to worry about it anyways.

Those carts look like the ticket. Is that up the gerstle? How far were you able to ride the bikes. I have thought of that also. I did that last year on my Tok sheep hunt and it worked well. I know the area well from Greely south but dont have much knowledge on the Alaska highway side.

We can't decide which drainage to pick either. Although, we are flying the area on the 5th or 6th. Hopefully the flight will make the decision of which drainage to hunt a bit easier.

Quote Originally Posted by nwf99 View Post
    My head hurts just thinking about all the possibilities for sheep in Delta. Less than 3 weeks away and I need to figure out which drainage I want to go down. I have narrowed it down to 2 spots. If I cant make up my mind by Wed, I am just going to draw straws. I would like to get into one of these areas this weekend to preplant some supplies and gear for the walk in. Might as well make it easier on myself beings I will probably be doing it solo due to lack of interest by others. Anyone else getting excited?