Thread: Willow

Default Willow

Anything happening on the Willow yet? Want to take my daughter up for some fishing. Thanks! RLTW!

Trout and grayling are biting above the bridge. Beads and flesh are gonna be the ticket from here on out. Pinks and chums should be hot at the mouth by now, and if not yet very soon.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Chums are in at the mouth, but very few pinks.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I fished willow on Thursday and Friday for a few hours. There are some chums there and a few pinks, but it was not good fishing yet. I also fished Sheep on Thurs, Fri, Sat and Sun, and it got worse every day as the water came up and got dirty. I checked out Montana on Friday, and saw a few chums there. My only action for the weekend was on Caswell. I was floating eggs with a bobber looking for early silvers, but I could not keep all the kings off my eggs. All the streams came up with the rain, especially the Kashwitna, it was within a foot of the bank on my land. Maybe this week?

I fished Willow yesterday evening. It was pretty slow. I was floating eggs under a bobber and caught 2 chum and 1 small silver. There were a few chum rolling around but I didn't see any pinks.

How deep under a bobber should I be fishing eggs unde a bobber. Going out there in the early am tomorrow.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    Trout and grayling are biting above the bridge. Beads and flesh are gonna be the ticket from here on out. Pinks and chums should be hot at the mouth by now, and if not yet very soon.
    id be interested in some tips on these grayling i fish with a spin rod and i had the boat out on tyone lake a few weeks ago and they would not bite anything i through at them. there were hundreds of them surfacing,.. is a fly rod pretty much the only way to take these species?

Quote Originally Posted by alaska_pike View Post
    id be interested in some tips on these grayling i fish with a spin rod and i had the boat out on tyone lake a few weeks ago and they would not bite anything i through at them. there were hundreds of them surfacing,.. is a fly rod pretty much the only way to take these species?
    Grayling can be extremely selective at times, then at other times seemingly indescriminate. I have been fishing for them when I tried EVERY fly pattern in my box when, luckily, the last choice was the ticket and I coundn't keep them off my line. Other times any small offering would do the job.

Small spinners often are a great choice, single eggs where legal, and whatever wet or dry fly is the choice of the day can be effective. Bring an arsenal and be prepared to filter through it .

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    Grayling can be extremely selective at times, then at other times seemingly indescriminate. I have been fishing for them when I tried EVERY fly pattern in my box when, luckily, the last choice was the ticket and I coundn't keep them off my line. Other times any small offering would do the job.

Small spinners often are a great choice, single eggs where legal, and whatever wet or dry fly is the choice of the day can be effective. Bring an arsenal and be prepared to filter through it .
    thank you sir, good lookin out, i will see what i can do

Quote Originally Posted by alaska_pike View Post
    Those grayling hitting the surface but not taking anything you offer are usually hitting mosquito emergers. Just subsurface.

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

In my experience, at Tyone, is that what you see surfacing is mostly whitefish. I have had good luck catching them with a very small black fly with a two pound leader.