Thread: ID this insect?

Default ID this insect?

I found this guy while hiking up Baldy in Eagle River a couple of days ago. I tried to get a good shot of him, but this was the best I could do with my reasonably cheap camera. I don't recall ever seeing one of these guys before. Does anyone have a clue?

That looks like a Green Sawfly (Rhogogaster viridis) or similar. I'm sure you didn't kill it, but you should have. I'm not an Entomologist, but I'm pretty sure those don't belong here. Might be worth bringing that picture to the attention of a USDA or UAA Entomologist and see what they say.

The green alder sawfly (Monsoma pulver-atum) was first documented in Alaska around 2004 and has been doing all kinds of damage since, but I can't find any info about (Rhogogaster viridis) being in Alaska yet.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Brian, here's the URL with contact info for the USDA invasive species folks.
    http://www.invasivespeciesinfo.gov/c...l#.UAz0ckTXGM4
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    T. I'm sure you didn't kill it, but you should have.
    As soon as I left that area I had that thought. It wasn't looking too vigorous, but in hindsight it might have been worth at least capturing...if not squishing.

Have done some more digging, and apparently there was one collected here in 1944: http://arctos.database.museum/guid/UAM:Ento:79136 There's very little information about them readily apparent tho, and and the UA folks might be interested in your report and photo.
    #Resist