Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 97

Thread: Broomed or not broomed? Another sheep judging thread...

  1. #1
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,391

    Default Broomed or not broomed? Another sheep judging thread...

    It came up in another thread that the definition of broomed is about as subject to interpretation as the definition of full curl. As such, perhaps it would be helpful for members to post pictures of rams that were sealed as double broomed and thus were deemed to meet the legal definition of broomed. Feel free to throw in pictures of questionable rams as well and we can all discuss whether we would call it broomed or not. I'll try to get a couple pictures of my only broomed ram later tonight to add to the discussion.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North pole Alaska
    Posts
    178

    Default

    Attachment 61573Here is one

  3. #3
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,391

    Default

    Unfortunately, I don't have field photos of this guy. I was on a solo hunt prior to owning a digital camera and, while I tried a couple of self-shots with the timer, they didn't work out too well. He's obviously broomed so not very helpful with the discussion of what is iffy or not, but I've always tended to err on the side of caution when it comes to brooming and have only ever targeted this one.




  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,919

    Default

    what a beautiful ram Brian.. I am sure I can come up with a few broomed pics. I do thin though that sometimes the questionable ones dont really matter cause if you are not really close or have really good optics you really cant tell they are broomed or rubbed or what not.. at least thats been my observations
    Dave

  5. #5
    Member tbone131's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    255

    Default

    Brian how old did the biologist guess his age when you had it sealed? Just out of curiosity

  6. #6
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,272

    Default

    Broomed and aged at 12 plus by Fairbanks F&G





    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,919

    Default

    I think Steve's pic in the other thread of his sheep is a really close call for broken..

    So to edit here I just noticed in the regs and cant even say how long its been worded this way but they make no reference to being broomed at all just tip of both horns broken...where the definition of broomed is broken or rubbed off....interesting...thoughts anyone?

  8. #8
    Member Yellowknife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    803

    Default

    Unfortunately I don't have any photos of this guy other than a fuzzy spotter shot from almost a mile away. Got to within 550 yds, and he was certainly broomed on both sides.





    He was reportedly taken a week later by a high school grad on a "graduation present" hunt with his dad. I don't recall exactly what the pilot said the measurements were, but it was a very nice ram.

    Perhaps if the kid or his father is on this site they could provide better photos.

    Yk

  9. #9
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yellowknife View Post
    Unfortunately I don't have any photos of this guy other than a fuzzy spotter shot from almost a mile away. Got to within 550 yds, and he was certainly broomed on both sides.
    He was reportedly taken a week later by a high school grad on a "graduation present" hunt with his dad. I don't recall exactly what the pilot said the measurements were, but it was a very nice ram.

    Perhaps if the kid or his father is on this site they could provide better photos.

    Yk
    Yeah....he definitely looks like a broozer...!!! I take it you weren't comfortable with the 550 yard shot? I doubt I would be. Was he all by himself...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  10. #10
    Member Yellowknife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    803

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Yeah....he definitely looks like a broozer...!!! I take it you weren't comfortable with the 550 yard shot? I doubt I would be. Was he all by himself...???
    I wasn't comfortable with the long shot at the time with either my gear or my skill level. Also thought I could get closer, but was foiled by fog and never got close again. There was actually an even nicer one in the band of seven, with lamb tips that went WAYYY past full curl. Keeps me up at night thinking about those two.

    I've also slung a mountain of ammunition down range this year and upgraded the rifle and scope. 550 is still a stretch, but 400+ should be a chip shot with a decent conditions. Learned a lesson on that one.

    Yk

  11. #11
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yellowknife View Post
    I wasn't comfortable with the long shot at the time with either my gear or my skill level. Also thought I could get closer, but was foiled by fog and never got close again. There was actually an even nicer one in the band of seven, with lamb tips that went WAYYY past full curl. Keeps me up at night thinking about those two.

    I've also slung a mountain of ammunition down range this year and upgraded the rifle and scope. 550 is still a stretch, but 400+ should be a chip shot with a decent conditions. Learned a lesson on that one.

    Yk
    Ahh....the dreaded fog.....a sheep hunters nightmare. I missed out on a 41x42 inch ram once I feel because of fog. THAT one keeps me up at night for sure. Yes I really don't know if I would attempt a 550 yard shot or not. Like you, at 400 my gun is good aiming at the top of the back of an animal. So it would be a guessing game at 550.....especially with any wind. Also like you, I probably feel I could always get closer. Hopefully you won't have to worry about it next time....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,919

    Default

    [QUOTE=4merguide;1148891]Ahh....the dreaded fog.....a sheep hunters nightmare. QUOTE]


    or best friend....lol helped me cross a valley or two

  13. #13

    Default

    My first ram was a double broomer. I guess the right horn may be considered broken or heavily broomed? I knew he was legal - kaboom!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  14. #14

    Default

    Another double broomer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  15. #15
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,748

    Default

    [QUOTE=Bear;1148900]
    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Ahh....the dreaded fog.....a sheep hunters nightmare. QUOTE]


    or best friend....lol helped me cross a valley or two
    Yes, as long as it lets up so you can find him again......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  16. #16
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jpost View Post
    My first ram was a double broomer. I guess the right horn may be considered broken or heavily broomed? I knew he was legal - kaboom!
    Man......did you get some nice terrain with that one...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,919

    Default

    Brian here are a few pics off of full curl.net that really show closeup of regularly worn and broken tips that would probably be considered close calls by adfg

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,919

    Default

    two more of broken tips

  19. #19
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,391

    Default

    Great pictures, Bear. Man...I've got to think that I would pass on those, even though at a close look they're obviously broken. If it's not an obvious stump, I just don't know that I would feel comfortable pulling the trigger.

  20. #20
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tbone131 View Post
    Brian how old did the biologist guess his age when you had it sealed? Just out of curiosity
    If I recall correctly, the tech listed it as 8 years and I remember rolling my eyes. I see at least 9 years on it, but possibly older depending on how much is broomed? I love the look of it being broomed, but I can't help but wonder how long it would have been with the lamb tips in tact.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •