Thread: Fish Finder with GPS or not?

Default Fish Finder with GPS or not?

I just recently bought a 18 1/2 foot flat bottom semi-V boat. Working great for rivers and lakes! I want to get a fish finder with a GPS. I want to hunt the rivers up north in the future. Is a GPS worth it? I planning to fish silvers close to the shore also. Any advice? Thanks!

I run a separate fish/depth finder and gps. The gps has moving map and I take with me when I get out of the boat while fishing and hunting. Work for me
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

the only use i have ever had for a gps is that they are very good speedometers. one area in alaska on a boat that they would come in very handy would be the area downriver of circle on the yukon. a lot of people get lost in the flats. on a regular river I don't think they are much use, a lot of people tend to stare at them too much like 16 year old girls staring at their iPhones and end up running into a sandbar or a log or something.

Probably depends on where you are and what you're doing, but I live and breath by a GPS. Lotta tight quarters negotiating through reefs, and especially returning to pretty precise locations for fishing. My boat has a narrow center console with enough room on top for two units. One is a GPS/Sounder combo (Lowrance Elite 5) and a VHF radio. Splitting the GPS and sounder isn't going to work for me because I won't do without any of the three. If I have to replace the unit because one side or the other fails, so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Probably depends on where you are and what you're doing, but I live and breath by a GPS. Lotta tight quarters negotiating through reefs, and especially returning to pretty precise locations for fishing. My boat has a narrow center console with enough room on top for two units. One is a GPS/Sounder combo (Lowrance Elite 5) and a VHF radio. Splitting the GPS and sounder isn't going to work for me because I won't do without any of the three. If I have to replace the unit because one side or the other fails, so be it.
    X 4. I use or have at least one with each of my boats.
    Tony

if you do any salt fishing, its a must. Got one at sportsmans for 679.00 including the navionics mapping card and it was extremely helpful. The program even told you if the bottom was mud, sand or gravel. It had a color screen but had to read instruction while using it for a while to remember how to use it.

Yesterday I had to run over ten miles in the fog to get in at Seward. I thank God for my GPS.

Quote Originally Posted by idakfisher View Post
    Yesterday I had to run over ten miles in the fog to get in at Seward. I thank God for my GPS.
    Yeah, it's saved my hiney more than once, too. I'd rather be running with radar in the fog, but that's out of the question on my open skiff.

Added a Garmin 500C Fishfinder along side my Garmin 498 Sounder, that way I can troll the edge of the blue line and where it gets deeper, also see structure on the GPS map and watch for fish on the finder at the same time. Split screen was to small and toggling back & forth the range changes on map so you had to zoom in again & again.
    And yes the GPS has got me in or out in fog or @ night more than once. But it does not replace the need to be able to read and understand a chart & compass navigation.