Thread: Information about this shotgun

Anchorage only because that's where the work is

Default Information about this shotgun

I inherited this gun and looking for any info on it ,only markings on it are Wm Parkhurst on one side and machine made on the other.Did a search and found Wm Parkhurst could be the importer and its maker is Simonis,Janssen & Dunoulin from Belgium at the end of the 1800s,looks to be a pretty clean gun.I took it to a gun dealer back east where I got it but he did'nt know anything about it,I don't plan to sell right away but would like to know what a fair price would be,thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Any Markings?

Default Shotgun Marking

Besides the name Wm Parkhurst and Machine Made stamped into each side there are some numbers the I can see a few of that disappear on the barrel under the stock,should I look under it for more writing?

Google the name. It looks like it was made in Belgium around 1900. Possible England. The name is most likely the importer.

Default Parkhurst in New Hampshire

There is a reference to a William Parkhurst in NH that made percussion guns and I also found some posts that it may be a store brand ( Sears, JC Penny, etc.)

Pull the forestock off and look for stampings. Try to cross reference those to a shotgun collectors book to find the make/model/time period or try the google search method suggested earlier. It's a nice looking old shotgun.

http://www.antiqueguns.com/flayder.htm

Contact a *reputable* antique dealer who specializes in firearms and appraisals. Even if only through several LARGE good quality photos, they may still be able to give you a range or ball-park figure on the value of the thing.

For a formal appraisal on paper, with their name, etc., they'll likely want to personally see the gun up close, and will charge a fee.

ruffle

Thanks for the help,will post what I find.

Take the barrel off the action.The barrel flats and action flats(watertable) will have proofs to include chamber,choke,country proof mark and makers mark. If it has a crown in a oval with LG over it Belgium will be the country.If American there will be no proofs.England has two proof houses,London and Brimingham. The gun has back action locks and looks Belgium. Are the barrels damascus orfluid steel?
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you