Thread: Monday the 23rd dipping the Kenai???

Default Monday the 23rd dipping the Kenai???

Well I went down on Wed the 18th and we got a few fish but not what you would call a good day (about 2 fish per hour).

I'm thinking of taking the boat back down again tomorrow. Wondering how the fishing is? I see that its a 34 hr fishery now so thats a plus.

Just looking for peoples thoughts/motivation, lol.

thanks

We put in Fri Morn (20th) fished the outgoing tide from 07:30 - noon, had 6 fish in the boat. anchored up and took a nap
    Low tide was at 13:01 so we started dipping again about 13:30 on the incoming and picked up a fish right away. We limited out by 15:30. as we were getting in line to get out, the fish were jumping all over the place by the fuel docks and launch ramps.
    people were going crazy dipping.. Some kid dipped up two right off the end of the floats of the launch ramp...
    Took 4 hours, 2 pots of coffee and some Bailey's to get all those puppies vacuum packed and in the freeZer

I've done a little more research and talked to a couple friends. It looks like the comercial guys are going today and tomorrow so Tuesday is sounding better. Not sure how the runs will be but thinking of launching the boat around 4am and fishing until about 1pm.

thanks for any tips or info

Quote Originally Posted by Teacherman View Post
    I've done a little more research and talked to a couple friends. It looks like the comercial guys are going today and tomorrow so Tuesday is sounding better. Not sure how the runs will be but thinking of launching the boat around 4am and fishing until about 1pm.

thanks for any tips or info
    teacherman
    I don't have a tide book in front of me, but my advice would be to fish the tides, not a clock. Incoming is best.

Looking at a 9am ish high tide Tuesday. Figured daylight to about 3 hrs into the outgoing looked good.

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    teacherman
    I don't have a tide book in front of me, but my advice would be to fish the tides, not a clock. Incoming is best.

In all my years of dipping, the fish just do not cooperate. Killed them at low tide/ high tide and between. Just keep working till you get-em
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Default Fish are where you find them...

They move when they feel like it.

If you're shore fishing, they have to be moving to catch them. If you're on a boat, you have to go find them, unless they are jumping bank to bank.

At slack tide on a boat, you can find them in certain places they are known to hang out, just a-lying there. In that case, you do short loopedy-loops and load up until the pot is too stirred and they vacate.

There is the general principle of fresh fish coming in with the tide, which should be fully exploited, but the Whop is right, when you're on, you're on, and sometimes it's just a lot of lookin'.

Oh, and BTW, Plan A(2) now calls for Mon 23 afternoon to be boat in the water fishing the incoming with 2 others (possible room for 1 more). PM me if you think you want to risk it. Tues 24 I've got a full boat.

PS: Tidebook is here: http://www.aksalmondipnetting.com/kenai/