Thread: Little Delta River Airboat hunt

Default Little Delta River Airboat hunt

My dad and i drew for the 20A moose hunt near Delta and we were thinking that we might want to take our airboats out for a cool hunt. We were wanting to start in delta junction and take our airboats up the little delta river. I'm wondering if it is even doable. I know nothing about the river. Anyone ever try anything like that or has anyone floated it?

Hate to be a downer but prolly not gona happen. You can get to the mouth but thats about as far as you will make it. I floated it last your from W. Hayes and we had to portage around 3 log jams and cut out 2 trees layed across the river. The one log jam about a mile or two from the mouth is prolly the biggest log jam Ive seen. The river flows underneath of it for 40 - 50ft. I know that I will never float that river again but we did have a great hunt. Good luck and hope yall figure out what your gona do. Hope yall get a moose.

AKHunter7,

What kind of boat did you float it with?

Thanks.

Did not take AKhunter7's advice and floated the Little Delta from the West Fork to the mouth at the Tanana. Not river for beginners to float. There are times when the river flows under log jams and directly into the woods.

A group of three of us paddled the river which I think is a must due to the large variability in the depth. In the main channel we were moving 10-13 mph according to the GPS and narrowly avoiding sweepers. We ended up going up a small log jammed channel and had to portage the boat about 0.5 miles back to the main channel losing a full day. Sounds like AKHunter7 found the same log jam but it could have been avoided if we had been watching the GPS and stayed in the main channel. Be sure to pull the boat up as high as possible as the level will change multiple feet in less than a 12 hour period and do not camp in the river bottom as you will wake up with your tent floating down the river.

Everything about floating the river was intense but we did kill a nice bull.