Thread: POW Fishing Reports

Default POW Fishing Reports

I am headed to Sea Otter Sound in a month and I am wondering if anyone knows how the fishing has been for salmon , halibut etc. in the POW area.
    There doesn't seem to be a whole lot in the way up updated info. that I can find for current reports.
    I'm mainly fishing for silvers and halibut. I have been reading all of the info. on what is happening with the king runs and can anyone tell me if the silvers are looking at a similar fate this season.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by fisher5000 View Post
    I am headed to Sea Otter Sound in a month and I am wondering if anyone knows how the fishing has been for salmon , halibut etc. in the POW area.
    There doesn't seem to be a whole lot in the way up updated info. that I can find for current reports.
    I'm mainly fishing for silvers and halibut. I have been reading all of the info. on what is happening with the king runs and can anyone tell me if the silvers are looking at a similar fate this season.
    Thanks!
    Check out this post for a report from 7/19/12.

http://princeofwalessportfishing.com/fishreports/

Also check out the blog on this site. Silvers have picked up lately as has the wind. Joel (a member on this site) is getting plenty of kings and silvers as usual.

http://alaskakingfisherlodge.com/

I'll be on POW in 48 days for the fall freshwater Silver run...plus a chartered day trip on the salt; weather permitting. It does start blowing in September but have done well on the bluebird days on the outside and inside over the last 13 years going there. We stay at the Lodge mentioned with the blog link. Chuck's outfit is great as are many others on the island. There is also a somewhat new King Salmon fishery just getting returns into the Port Saint Nicholas bay. This is a terminal fishery that is managed by the POWHA hatchery - with Dan Goodness overseeing it.

PM in your box Warren.

It's really good right now. 36 cohos, 5 kings, and 6 halibut today. (6 clients)

Nice day man! We were hot, the worst day I have had in years today. Got our butts but NO salmon. Weird. Anyway how big are the kings? Look like slabs! Two days ago the biggest kings of the year rolled through, one boat had 4 over 35, up to 47. Now - nothing. Gotta pick back up.

To the OP< you'll love Sea Otter, heck of a place to fish. Craig rocks too, as the photo shows.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Thanks for the info,appreciate it! I am a bit concerned about going a bit later in the summer/ early Fall due to weather concerns but it can turn lousy at any time so I'll keep my fingers crossed!! Should be good fishing if the weather cooperates.

Quote Originally Posted by fisher5000 View Post
    Thanks for the info,appreciate it! I am a bit concerned about going a bit later in the summer/ early Fall due to weather concerns but it can turn lousy at any time so I'll keep my fingers crossed!! Should be good fishing if the weather cooperates.

I have emailed back and forth with the owner of the Kingfisher Lodge and Charters. They've had an overcast YEAR thus far when we got to discussing the weather. 300 sunny days annually where I live and Chuck said with the fishing he's been having we can keep the sunny weather! Since our state and others around us have nearly burned to the ground with record dry and heat, I tend to agree with him. They've had a few blows this month already and I expect a slim chance at going out on the salt with Sure Strike Lodge (chuck's neighbor). We'll see. Take your Dramamine the night before and first thing in the AM....then go fishing! Good luck on your trip!

And that's a NICE barrow of fish, 270ti!