Thread: Seeking input on hunt for bou.....

Default Seeking input on hunt for bou.....

I did not draw any tags this year. This will be my 2nd fall as a resident. Last year I did the 5 mile walk from hell, up on the haul road and killed a cow. That was pretty hard. I am just wondering if I went up and did the registration hunt in 20e, what to expect. Pretty good chance at a bou? I am a hard worker, and love packing in. But thst 5 miler across that tundr last year sucked. We saw 2 caribou and killed them both. Any advice? I'm meat hunting.

It gets pretty busy. We had a bad experience with a party hunting right in the middle of our camp. Most people are respectful, but there are a few bad apples around. You can't really tell if the caribou will be there or not, there are usually always a few around, but you never know if they are going to be migrating through or not until you get up there. It's a bull only hunt as well during the fall. I think the winter hunt is for any caribou.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by outrider View Post
    I did not draw any tags this year. This will be my 2nd fall as a resident. Last year I did the 5 mile walk from hell, up on the haul road and killed a cow. That was pretty hard. I am just wondering if I went up and did the registration hunt in 20e, what to expect. Pretty good chance at a bou? I am a hard worker, and love packing in. But thst 5 miler across that tundr last year sucked. We saw 2 caribou and killed them both. Any advice? I'm meat hunting.
    **** it, you did better than me; I did that lousy 5 mile walk in on two separate points near Galbraith Lake, and didn't see a ****ed thing... I was curious too about the Taylor Highway hunt but the one time I drove thru there going to Dawson City in mid-Sept it was like combat fishing except with guns and 4-wheelers.

Wonder if that Taylor hwy hunt has changed as far as people numbers with everybody doing the tier hunts now?

The Haul Rd hunt is a bear for sure. Have you considered spending the extra $ and doing a unit 26 or 23 fly out hunt? Costs more but your success will go up as a result.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Unit 23 float hunts and drop Camps

What can one expect to pay for a fly out hunt in Unit 26 if they don't need to go very far, say, like 30 miles?