Thread: Advice request...

Default Advice request...

Hey all,

So, my wife and I finally finished all the paper work on our house in N.P. (Ran into a little scare yesterday concerning Sulfolane, but found out we're in good shape there). Anyhow, now that we don't need to be sitting by a phone ready to make counter offers and all that hub-bub we're going to hit the road to camp and fish until the 31st (our closing/move-in date).

We planned to go up to the Chena for 10 days to camp/fish, but the river flows look like they've spiked, a lot, so now I'm not that stoked to go up there. I've been reading a bunch about Montana Creek and was thinking about heading that way to target rainbows, but I'm guessing that it's spiked as well. So now we're thinking about heading down to Valdez to get some pinks in the salt.

I guess I'm asking where you guys might go with the current weather. Is the Chena pretty must toasted until flows re-stabilize... Montana Creek? Any word on the pink run down towards Valdez? Maybe some better options for the next 10 days?

I realize I'm poaching info. The best I can offer in return is info on Montana streams if any of you plan to head down that way anytime soon.

-Jeff

I'd recommend "Artie" at offshoresinkers@gmail.com. Honest, hard working, serious, and VERY experienced. Charters out of Seward. Tell him Mort sent you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post
    I'd recommend "Artie" at offshoresinkers@gmail.com. Honest, hard working, serious, and VERY experienced. Charters out of Seward. Tell him Mort sent you.
    Gizzly, that would a lot of fun, but we're on a pretty tight budget after getting a home... guided trips just aren't in the budget.

-J

Unless it rains a lot over the next few days I'd expect the Chena to get back to normal (for whatever value of "normal") within a few days. If you keep an eye on the gaging station at the second bridge you can get a handle on the condition of the river - a general rule of thumb is that if it's above 16' the fishing's going to be more challenging. Link is here: http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ak/nwis/uv?site_no=15493000.

There can actually be some excellent fishing on the Chena during high water - look for quieter backwaters and sloughs, and/or find big holes and drop some heavier beadheads. Being willing to wade helps a lot. The main thing about camping on the Chena in current conditions is not to get out on a gravel bar and then get stranded when the water rises.

Klutina....sockeyes and kings....I heard its good fishing right now

Self guided fishing is not difficult.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    Klutina....sockeyes and kings....I heard its good fishing right now

Self guided fishing is not difficult.
    What he said. I just got back yesterday from a weekend trip to the Klutina. Water level is good. Might be a little rainey at times but that is pretty much how the whole summer has been. Limits of Reds are coming in with a few hours of work depending on location. If you are willing to walk the bank and get away from folks you might catch them faster. Any of the two campgrounds on the Old Richardson Highway will point you in the right direction.

I haven't been able to fish much the past few weeks because of work, but I did fish above 45-mile CHSR today and the fishing was excellent. The water is back to fishing-friendly levels and the graylings are hoovering down anything that looks like food.

Thanks everyone. We ended up on the Chena for 5 days... great fishing as usual, once the water cleared up. I learned that the West Fork remains pretty clear when the lower river and North Fork are stained.

-J

Here's a fatso from the West Fork...

-Jeff

I'm glad it worked out for you. I really love fishing on the Chena, and except for the not-quite-a-flood, which subsided pretty quickly, I've found the fishing to be excellent this year.