Thread: Shooting a moose hit by a car

Default Shooting a moose hit by a car

If a moose is hit by a vehicle, can you dispatch the animal? Would you also have to follow the rules for "Defense of life and property?

I realize this a question for a trooper, but the Ask a AST forum doesn't seem to allow for new post.

I would call the troopers, and ask if it was ok before I did. They can be very picky about this, so be very careful if this situation comes up. From what I have seen and heard, the troopers would rather do the dispatching themselves. My guess is for liability purposes, and safety issues that can arise.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

No you have to call the police
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    I would call the troopers, and ask if it was ok before I did.
    Yes, just call and ask. Unfortunately I hit a young bull once and only broke both it's back legs, so it was still very much alive. When I called dispatch and told them I also had to leave because I was leaking coolant real bad. I said I would be back and if it was ok for me to bring my pistol back and put the animal out of it's misery? She said that would be ok. Even at that, when the trooper arrived and saw the wound to the head he came off with an attitude.....UNTIL I told him that dispatch told me it was ok.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

An officer would have to lack backbone to give you crap about putting such a suffering animal down, but it is certainly not a DLP situation and others are correct, it is the LEOs responsibility.

I dispatched one after trooper dispatch OK'd it. In that case the animal was in the middle of the road and a significant traffic hazard due to restricted traffic and the usual rubbernecking. We got it off the road and got traffic moving again. Waited a while and the troopers never showed...guess they had other, more pressing, concerns. Understandable given their patrol area and relatively low numbers up here.

My guess is that public safety outweighs humanity- if the animal presents further hazard they're probably gonna let you zap it and get it off the roadway if officers are a ways out. If it's out of the road and not presenting a hazard they'd probably rather you didn't.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

The other replies are all correct. This was asked to a trooper a few years ago I think, maybe up in Fairbanks? It was in a news article somewhere, but essentially answered it as others have above. They do not want people dispatching animals unless absolutely necessary. It has to be a safety concern for the most part. Basically, they don't know you from John Doe down in the trailer park, so they don't want to have any random person taking potshots at what they claim to be a wounded animal. By calling them first, they can at least use that interraction to determine that you are likely a responsible person and the situation warrants you doing it before an officer/trooper can respond.

EDIT: Here is a link to the story in the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner from 2 years ago: http://www.newsminer.com/view/full_s...e-on-a-highway?

I came onto a moose injured severely along the Elliot Highway near pump station seven a number of years ago. We called the troopers from pump seven and they asked if we had a gun and would we dispatch it? I made sure I got the name of the person on the phone as it is definitely against the law to do that. As much as you hate to see the animal suffer you must leave it unless express permission has been granted. The moose is the property of the state and you are not allowed to salvage it unless you are on the salvage list and you turn is up.