Thread: Big Sockeye Surge on the Kenai!

Thumbs up Big Sockeye Surge on the Kenai!

Well, we waited for it, and it looks like it's here. That big group of reds in the Kenai. It all started just after high tide and was still going like crazy when I left at 11:30pm. I got all I needed in about an hour or so. Everyone was catching fish and it was insane. I don't think I've ever seen the Kenai like that before. Tons of fish, with jumpers still visible far out to sea. I even put a gopro video camera on the pole in hopes of getting some shots of fish getting into the net. Haven't had a chance to view salmon going into the net. Should resolve my curiosity about whether reds swim with the current on an outgoing tide or the other direction. Should be interesting.

Fyi, the comfish boats were out in force and the river was plugged with fish anyway. Perhaps they don't haul in all the reds as some have suggested? All I know is that the weather was great and the dipnetting was amazing.

At one point a guy asked me what time it was and i shouted over my shoulder as I ran back in to position my net, "it's summertime! What a place we live in.

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I was at the mouth yesterday morning for the top of the ebb, lots of fish moving in on that tide as well....should be the perfect storm for the weekenders....good reason to head for Homer!

Good luck flippin n dippin!

Thumbs up Come and get 'em . . .

My kids just (5 AM) called from the river. They went out at 3 AM, boat, 2 nets, 30 fish and counting, the fish are here. They'll get 10 more and come in.

Oh, and somebody be sure to let "whop" know.

Thumbs up

Kids are home now at 7 AM with 40+ fish . . took them just a few hours with two nets . . river is hot.

Sounds like fun

Too bad I'll be missing it (stupid work schedule)

What really bites is I was SUPPOSED to have this week off, but circumstances did a good job of getting in the way this summer

Yeah, we were lucky enough to be in the water yesterday as well when the action turned hot. As Mike stated, there were jumpers everywhere and it was insane. Limits were had pretty quickly. We started at 10:30am and had 95 fish by 6:00pm. We had three groups with us and could have had more fish even faster, but it took a while to get our system down. We do live in an awesome place.
    We were dipping from a boat and before the tide came in, it was nuts! Waves everywhere; one jon boat got swamped. I couldn't believe how small some of those boats were out there! And only about half the people were wearing life jackets. Be careful-no fish is worth injury or death.

was still hot when I left at 10 Am. You could certainly fill one cooler in 40 mins. I left town at 3 am, and got there around 6:30 AM. I wanted to get my fish when the traffic on the roads, and on the river was minimal. Worked out good, I'm beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Well, we waited for it, and it looks like it's here. That big group of reds in the Kenai. It all started just after high tide and was still going like crazy when I left at 11:30pm. I got all I needed in about an hour or so. Everyone was catching fish and it was insane. I don't think I've ever seen the Kenai like that before. Tons of fish, with jumpers still visible far out to sea. I even put a gopro video camera on the pole in hopes of getting some shots of fish getting into the net. Haven't had a chance to view salmon going into the net. Should resolve my curiosity about whether reds swim with the current on an outgoing tide or the other direction. Should be interesting.

Fyi, the comfish boats were out in force and the river was plugged with fish anyway. Perhaps they don't haul in all the reds as some have suggested? All I know is that the weather was great and the dipnetting was amazing.

At one point a guy asked me what time it was and i shouted over my shoulder as I ran back in to position my net, "it's summertime! What a place we live in.

Mike
    You going to upload your video to youtube then post the link here so we can all see it?

I dipped from the north shore around noon on saturday and left when I filled the cooler. Caught 18, enough for me, no need to spend hours and hours and hours filleting.

Quote Originally Posted by northernalberta View Post
    You going to upload your video to youtube then post the link here so we can all see it?

I dipped from the north shore around noon on saturday and left when I filled the cooler. Caught 18, enough for me, no need to spend hours and hours and hours filleting.
    Not quite yet. Still have some other projects in front of this one. Should be interesting though.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Thank you Mike for pointing out that the commercial boats were out in force. As they were every day since the 16th. otf indexes and commercial openings don't mean a **** thing to those magnificent salmon. When they decide to make a run for the river is the time to be there.