Thread: Is there cell service in PWS?

Default Is there cell service in PWS?

Just wondering if there was cell service in some spots in PWS. Thanks

I received a cell call while anchored off Hinchenbrook last year....kind of a freak out. Apprarently there are a few towers scattered out there. Have no idea where the signal originated from.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

In some areas there are, but don't count on it. It's been getting better lately, and this summer I've been able to get the most consistent service yet. The best reception I've experienced is in the big open area between the south end of Perry Island, the north end of Knight Island, and Main Bay. There may be other covered areas as well, but there are certainly areas with no reception.

Yup, depends on where you are and who your service is with. As mentioned, it's getting better. Ironically, Verizon, who don't really yet exist in Alaska, has some of the most wide-ranging service out there because they piggyback off of both ACS and Copper Valley Wireless towers. There's a big, brand new CV Wireless tower on Hinchinbrook, too. Don't get a prepaid ACS phone, though. Their prepaid phones won't roam on other networks, which pretty well screwed me out of service in Cordova. But now I know more than I ever needed about the cell phone service in PWS.

If you're tucked in almost any bay with mountains around you, you're probably not going to get a signal. Out in the main channels and entrances are your best bets.

We found great cell signal, and data, around the Dutch Group and Eaglek Bay, east of Ester island.

I have AT&T, and I was suprised to get service just outside of Mink Island this year.

Both ACS and AT&T have pretty good coverage in the sound. I believe there is a tower on Naked that seems to cover from the S end of Culross on through the N end of Knight and Montague.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

My son would climb 5 minutes up a hill above his Main Bay fish camp and it was like talking to the neighbor. Very clear signal.

had full bars but could only text message up to 70 miles out

My ATT phone lied to me a lot about the signal. It'd say I had 4 or 5 bars, then I'd try to make a call and it'd tell me I wasn't registered on the network. A lot of the time I could text but not talk, too. This was kind of all over the sound. Had good signal in the main passages and in most commercial districts.

Quote Originally Posted by PAcWest View Post
    Just wondering if there was cell service in some spots in PWS. Thanks

Get in a Bar fight and the cops have a cell service in most small PWS towns.

What's the cell service look like in Chenga Bay (aka Evans Island) for ATT?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DrZ View Post

Thanks
    GCI services the new village of Chenega. They placed a tower there last year. I can only assume that ACS users will also be able to use that tower once the ACS/GCI merger goes through. I spent all of last week out on the sound and had cell service from Whittier all the way out to Montague Strait. I have a Wilson external antenna that plugs directly into my phone. This enables me to "grab" signal when others cannot.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    GCI services the new village of Chenega. They placed a tower there last year. I can only assume that ACS users will also be able to use that tower once the ACS/GCI merger goes through. I spent all of last week out on the sound and had cell service from Whittier all the way out to Montague Strait. I have a Wilson external antenna that plugs directly into my phone. This enables me to "grab" signal when others cannot.
    I've got a cell booster also. I used it this year in the PWS and Seward. huge difference. PWS can still be spotty. In seward i had service at Cheval.

I had little to no service below Crafton Is all the way to Evans/Bainbridge with AT&T last Tuesday.
    While I had good service south of Culross at Port Nellie Juan to Eshamy Bay Monday, we didn't get signal again until rounding Decision Point heading back to Whittier Tuesday. Unsure why...wx didn't seem to be a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by DrZ View Post

Thanks