Thread: What to bring on long runs?

Default What to bring on long runs?

Besides the obvious of extra props, plugs, a lil oil etc....what should a guy bring on long runs where getting parts (if need be) would be a pain to get?? Im talking an outboard here..Suzuki 140. Trying to see what other ppl bring on their long runs. thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by Armed_alaskan View Post
    I'm thinking all the camping (gear) plus warm clothing, don't forget the matches and fresh water.
    im talking motor wise...spare parts etc..

Quote Originally Posted by hunt/trapak88 View Post
    im talking motor wise...spare parts etc..
    My Bad....

fuel pump,fuel lines,water pump is what im thinking hope this helps
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

I carry, with my DF140, water pump and housing, thermostat, plugs, fuel filters (high and low pressure), props (6 total in various pitches 17,19,21). Prop change kit and spare cotter pins. The plug on the side for flushing the motor. If you clog the coolant line with mud or silt this plug helps clear it, if it is dropped you need another. I also carry a spare lower unit (prop). Fuel additives like heet. For the Yukon I don't bother bringing the jet. I also carry some sheet metal repair for the boat. Rivets, aluminum and sealant. Plus all the river rescue equipment needed.

We take extra fuel/water separators. The gas on the yukon seems to be half water. We run the gas through an electric fuel pump with a water separator filter inline then into the tanks where it is filtered again before it gets to the motor. We have extra filters and about every spare small part we can think of. Plugs, sensors, pins, cables, boot, prop/impeller, sleeves. Also a way to repair holes in the hull. I have never had to do it, but I hear a wax toilet ring works good. They sell some something similar in a jar and I have seen it here on this forum, but have not picked some up yet. There is a regulator switch on the suzuki that can go bad. If the motor over heats it will not let the motor rev up. If the sensor goes bad, it limits the motor that is otherwise fine. They are not that much. Talk to the guys at Anchorage Yamaha and Suzuki, they will know what it is.

Akjeef, Daved & skybust pretty well nailed it, I have a 140 as well, I put together a tool kit a few years ago, and use that when I do service work on the motor, that way I can make sure I have what I need to do the job.
    Dont forget to service (remove & clean) the internal anodes if you run in salt very much.
    I have ~ 400 hours on mine and its a great unit..........
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Emergency Tape for any leaks in hoses etc... Some type of compressed/canned air and some Weed Wacker line to take care of a potential plugged piss tupe for your outboard. I've used this a few times in the past. Good Strong Magnet in case you drop something (screw bolt) in the murkey water or tight place in your motor area, a telescopic magnet, looks like a pen.

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    Emergency Tape for any leaks in hoses etc... Some type of compressed/canned air and some Weed Wacker line to take care of a potential plugged piss tupe for your outboard. I've used this a few times in the past. Good Strong Magnet in case you drop something (screw bolt) in the murkey water or tight place in your motor area, a telescopic magnet, looks like a pen.
    Weed Wawcker line......genious!

All good ideas thanks guys!

For all you DF140 owners....
    https://www.yousendit.com/download/Q...T000b0R2WnRVag
    Here is a link to the factory owners manual for the DF 90/100/115/140 4 stroke 2002-2009
    It is a 43mb. I bought it a while ago and have shared it as much as possible
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Not to highjack the thread, but if anyone has a list of "must have" parts/spares for a 150 optimax, I'd be much obliged.
    I have all the standard boat repair stuff, OB jet repair parts, but besides an air filter and a spare water pump impeller, I have no idea what are the most likely parts to fail on the Optis.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.