Thread: Bullet selection for 7mm-08 goat hunt

Default Bullet selection for 7mm-08 goat hunt

My wife drew a goat tag for this coming fall and will be using her 7mm-08. She's already done very well with this rifle and has thus far shot 140 grain core-lokt bullets for two one-shot kills. That said, I bought her a box of 140 grain Barnes Triple-Shock bullets a year ago and am considering whether that would be a more appropriate bullet for goat. I know that the Barnes is more likely to stay together on impact, but does the 7mm-08 shoot too slowly to get proper bullet expansion? The box says that it travels at 2630 fps with 2150 ft-lbs of energy at 100 yards, 2450/1860 at 200 yards. I'm reasonably clueless when it comes to bullet choice, so any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Brian,
    The TSX is a good bullet, but I don't like them until the MV gets up there about 3000fps or more. In my opinion the 7-08 just doesn't have enough zip to justify the TSX and I'm really dubious of the claims that it will expand reliably down to 2000fps- I've seen a couple recovered now that could have been reloaded and shot again.

I really like the Accubond- expands readily at 7-08 speeds out to respectable distance and won't come unglued on a short range shot.

The Core-Lokt you're using is A-OK and if the rifle shoots them well I don't think I'd mess around any more.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I do agree with hodgeman, but I loaded up some 140 TTSX for a friend last year in his 7-08 and it dropped his sheep fast at 200 yards. He also dropped a small grizzly 6" last year with the same rifle. I use the 210gr TTSX in my 338-06 and have had great luck with them. i'm only pushing a 210gr bullet 2700 and had no problem with them not expanding. I usually get a 338 going in a quarter to nickel sie hole going out. I have not shot anything past 300 yards with this rifle. At about 300 yard is where the 2000fps happens and I just get as close as possable and wont shot past 300 yards. To be honest I don't like to shoot over 300 yards. It's just a long ways. I would have shoot a 210gr partiton out of the 338-06, but I couldn't get them to shoot that well. I like the TTSX, I just dont like the price of them.

Brian I could be wrong but I am assuming(I know I know ) that you do not reload so just wondering if you or your wife had a chance to test to see which one is more accurate then the other in the gun. I am a big fan of barnes however if they dont shoot straight then they arent worth squat. And it sounds like the core lokts are already a proven preformer for your wife...
    Dave

Correct Dave, I do not reload. We'll shoot these Barnes bullets at something - if only a target - but yes, the core lokt bullets have done great by her thus far. I know goats are tough critters, but nothing beats a well placed shot regardless of the bullet. Thanks for the feedback, fellas.

They are tough but I think it is more their ability to absorb impact and continue to function than actually being hard to penetrate. I plan to load accubonds for my sons 7-08 but at this point will just run core lokt 140's and call it good.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    They are tough but I think it is more their ability to absorb impact and continue to function than actually being hard to penetrate. .
    I think this is a very good point. I will be first in line to attest to the toughness of goats but I do believe a well placed shot to an unsuspecting goat will more times then not never take another step.

don't forget to give Nosler's 140 & 150 ETips OR the Swift Scirrocco 150's a try