Thread: Vortex Nomads 20X60X60 spotter

Default Vortex Nomads 20X60X60 spotter

I had this in the optics froum, thought I would try here..................

I am thinking about buying a Vortex Nomad 20X60X60 to replace my 20X45X62 Minox, similar weight between the two, just looking for a little more manification.
    Anyone own one of these?
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    I had this in the optics froum, thought I would try here..................

I am thinking about buying a Vortex Nomad 20X60X60 to replace my 20X45X62 Minox, similar weight between the two, just looking for a little more manification.
    Anyone own one of these?
    i own one. and for that price range300-700...i believe it is the best scope. eye relief is prolly the only flaw to it. im not in any position to spend 2000 + on a scope so this suits me well. if the money permits, get the hd razor i believe its called...i think its around 1500??

I too have no room in the hunting budget for a 2000$ spotter - and decided to spend my Cabelas gift cards on a Nomad. As for the 60power setting I am a little disappointed. I knew it wouldn't be a phenom, but even with full sunshine at my back (representing ideal light gathering conditions) the baby eagles in their nest were fairly dim. That said, at 60X the eagles were quite large and I could still see details very distinctly, so that was nice, but it was only 180 yards. Image quality and brightness through 20-40 and even a little over 40 power is great though, leaves little to debate when determining if that alpine buck is a little fork or something worth packing back to the freezer.

ak88 - glad im not the only one who thought the relief was off. Nearly called Vortex to ask em if it was a flaw in the individual scope or somethin else.

I can't speak to the Nomad, but I've got the Vortex Viper HD 15-45x65, and I would highly recommend it. I haven't really put it through the paces of a hard hunt yet, but I've done a lot of looking through it on various sightseeing trips this year and can't imagine a much better picture.
    Jason
    http://www.troutnut.com -- Fly fishing photos & insect hatch encyclopedia.
    http://www.daltoncorridormap.com -- Exact 5-mile Haul Road corridor boundary for GPS & Google Earth

A quick follow up on the Nomad 60X zoom. Spotted a suspiciously colored dot on a mountain this sunny evening at 20X. Zoomed in to 60 power and could clearly make out the deer as well as his headgear (not in velvet anymore) while moving across alpine. Just google-earthed the distance and comes out to 5.31 miles. So, in the right light the Nomad does have pretty good magnification.

I'll second the Vortex Viper series. We have the old Swarovski SLC 10x42 binoculars at work and side by side with the Viper 10x42 it's hard to tell a difference. At over $1000 for the swaro compared to $600 for the Viper....I'd buy the Viper. I personally own Leica 10x42 binoculars and would still think seriously about buying the Vortex Viper series over either one.

As for scope I have a 80mm Zeiss Diascope that I got a screaming deal on at Sierra Trading Post several years ago ($450ish). If your not quite satisfied with the deals you're finding keep an eye on STP as they do have optics and sometimes come up super cheap.

I ended up using the Minox, I took them over to Sportsmans so I could do a comparison.
    I have trouble seeing the holes in a target after 200 yards at the range. So I took a couple of holy targets and was gonna take a look through both and see if I liked the Viper......
    They were sold out.............so I bought a new tent instead......enough money spent on hunting stuff this year, by the time I get everything I need/want, I will be too old to use it............LOL
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Just bought the Nomad. Good 20-40 but gets dim quickly thereafter. Could not see holes in the target st 200 at Birchwood. Might buy a Nikon, or just not be so cheap, if I had a do-over.