Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Petersburg, AK

Default Petersburg, AK

My wife and I will be headed to Petersburg in about 3 weks for our first ever fishing trip to Alaska. I would like to know how the fishing is there now and hopefully what to expect when we get there, 18 Aug. We will be at Island Point Lodge and hope to catch some halibut (big ones) but I have fished enough in the lower 48 to know it's called fishing for a reason. Sometimes the catching part was yesterday. Any help you can put on the subject will be welcomed Thanks

I will be going to Petersburg neat the end of August and have also been looking for information. If you do a search on this site you will find some information, but I have not found any recent posts. The best up to date site is the ADFG site and look at the SE reports and in detail the Petersburg/Wrangel report at the bottom of the page. Also there are a number of videos if you Google Petersburg fishing videos. Finally a couple of the lodges have some reports and videos of fishing and whale watching in the area (search Petersburg fishing lodges).
    Good luck

The following link will take you to the area sport fishing report: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/Fishin...il&area_key=10
    But, here's the halibut portion:
    In Petersburg, anglers last week fished 3 hours per halibut, which is similar to the recent five-year average of 4 hours for the same week in other years. Anglers wishing to target Halibut may catch them commonly fishing in deeper waters (300' plus) but halibut are often taken by anglers trolling for king salmon in shallower waters, or later in the season when they feed on dead or dying salmon near stream mouths. To do better in deeper waters, try and fish on days with smaller tide exchanges which will allow baits to reach the bottom easier. Fresh-caught herring is the best bet at this time of year when they are plentiful, but other baits work as well.
    Generally speaking, halibut fishing gets better as the summer progresses. Have a great trip!

You'll do great. Around the second week in August is about as good as fishing gets.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Last I heard was that halibut were pretty hot right now and will only get better as the summer progresses. Kings (as with everywhere else) were basically a no show this year. Coho numbers looks promising and should be pretty good when you're there. Blind River is very close to Island Point Lodge. Try #4 and #5 Mepps spinners in Chartuese, Orange, or Pink at the mouth of the river and you should do fine on cohos.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Cool place. Caught halibut within sight of town. Attachment 61635You might want to see if you can get over to LeConte Glacier if it's your first trip to AK.

Mapman5, the attachment 61635 is invalid. I can not look at information. Thanks

Default petersburg pics

sorry about that. here's a couple of pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Take a look at NOAA chart #'s 17375 and 17382. Found here.http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/17375.shtml

These are the ones you should be familiarizing yourself with.

I almost went to Island Point last June for the Kings and Halibut fishing, but there were some red indicators that steered me to look and book elsewhere.

Here's the last report - http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/Fishin...il&area_key=10

But you've probably already seen that.

Lots of subsistance halibut longline fishing going on now and seeing lots of 20 to 30 pound fish
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by mapman5 View Post
    sorry about that. here's a couple of pics.
    That coho is a pig. Nice catch!
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Sumner straight can be good for halibut. Look for humps etc out there and watch the weather, it can also get nasty. Running through the narrows is pretty scenic.

Carolinaboy, What were the indicators that turned you off?

I don't know if you've posted enough yet to have PM access, but I'll send you one. If not, we should take it to email. Nothing horrible, dicey or otherwise, but enough to cause me to dig deeper and choose elsewhere.

I'll send you a PM.

Steve

CAROLINABOY, I got your PM but I have not figured out how to send one back to you.

Seems like you have to have a minimum number of posts on the forum to get full PM use.

you can email me @ steveoprice99 AT gmail DOT com

Thanks, My email is dlallder@aceweb.com

I want to thank every one that has responded to my original post, all of you have have been helpful and now that I know every thing about the halibut fishing. LOL I would like to know about catching the silvers in the salt water before they enter the rivers. What type of bait/lures are needed, how deep will we need to fish, Can bass size deep diver type baits work? Any information about the salmon fishing and of course any additional info on the halibut fishing will be very welcomed. Thanks

The lodge we are going to will have some lure & terminal tackle but my question is " Will there be sufficient choices of gear in the town of Petersburg?"

You'll find plenty of gear to choose from. We have about anything here that we need, so you should be able to work with it. Your outfitter should be able to put you onto the right tackle and the fish, Silvers shouldn't be too hard to come by around then.
    Enjoy your stay in Petersburg and don't forget very good rain gear, we're having a really wet summer.
    Casey
    Yamaha Dealer
    Petersburg, AK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast