Thread: Ruger Alaskan 44 mag and Barnes Buster bullets?

Default Ruger Alaskan 44 mag and Barnes Buster bullets?

Has anyone out there chronographed Ruger Alaskan rounds (44 magnum) for velocity loss comparison with longer barreled revolvers (for example Redhawks, Super Redhawks, and S&W 29's and 629's)?
    I have never had to shoot a bear in self defense. What I do load for bears is Cast Performance 320 WLNGC hard cast bullets in front of 21.o gr of H110. Has any one tried the Barnes Buster 300 gr bullets? If so what do you think of them?
    Thanks
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Finn View Post
    Has anyone out there chronographed Ruger Alaskan rounds (44 magnum) for velocity loss comparison with longer barreled revolvers (for example Redhawks, Super Redhawks, and S&W 29's and 629's)?
    I have never had to shoot a bear in self defense. What I do load for bears is Cast Performance 320 WLNGC hard cast bullets in front of 21.o gr of H110. Has any one tried the Barnes Buster 300 gr bullets? If so what do you think of them?
    Thanks
    Jim
    I'm running 325 gr Barnes busters in my 454 casull and very happy with them. They chrono out about 200fps faster than 325 gr buffalo bore loads and much tighter groups. In any case, I truelly believe the Barnes buster FMJ's are the way to go for bear protection.
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Finn View Post
    Thanks
    Jim

You 320 grain WLFNGC is an excellent bullet with a wide meplat for a large wound channel and is an excellent penetrating bullet as well.

The Barnes Buster has a significantly smaller meplat and will not produce as large of wound channel