Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: Barneys packs

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    1,131

    Smile Barneys packs

    Some help with my pack. I did remove the upper rail on the top of my pack which shed some weight. But keep reading that some guys take off the lower bar. So who has done this and how it it working? Specifically are you taking off the entire lower shelf and just hanging the bag from the grommets? Would the bag still carry a moose quarter without the additional support of the shelf? thanks for the help as I couldnt figure out what the posts were referring to....
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

  2. #2
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,395

    Default

    I don't have the lower shelf on mine, and while I haven't put a moose quarter in it, I've had half a caribou in it multiple times with no problem - actually, a whole caribou one time, but he was a young bull and was boned out. Carry extra pins and you should be fine.

  3. #3
    Member Yellowknife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    803

    Default

    The Pinnacle and Yukon bags can't/don't use the lower shelf and just hang from the pins. The Pinnacle in particular is the choice of a large percentage of guides and packers, so consider it well tested.

    I also tossed the lower shelf when I had a Hunter bag. Only used it one year, but it hauled half couple caribou just fine. You will loose about 1/2 lb by removing the shelf.

    yk

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,921

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yellowknife View Post
    The Pinnacle and Yukon bags can't/don't use the lower shelf and just hang from the pins. The Pinnacle in particular is the choice of a large percentage of guides and packers, so consider it well tested.




    yk
    Yeah I was tryin to think if my pack came with a shelf or not but either way I would toss it in the pile or use it as a boomerang like the top bar. I have carried more moose quarters in my pack when guiding then I would care to remember and never had a problem with the no shelf thing. I do as Brian mentioned that is carry spare pins and they never leave my pack....

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    214

    Default

    Taking the upper bar off also makes it safer. Slipping while walking down hill will guarantee that your head will be introduced to that upper bar in a way that you don't want it to.

  6. #6
    Member tbone131's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    255

    Default

    I was told not to get a shelf. The reason being I am 6'5 and if I put a quarter or something similar on the shelf it would carry to high and thus cause my center of gravity to be off. I have the Yukon bag and I feel if I don't want to load the bag with that much weight I will just secure it to the frame.

  7. #7

    Default

    I've been using Barney's packs for 20 years. Ditch the headache rack and the meat shelf for sure. I ditched the noisy/weak pins as well. Just bolt your pack to the frame. I had lots of pins bend with heavy loads due to the sloppiness of thier "fit" and weak construction. Bolt the bag straight to the frame and you'll have a quieter and stronger rig, guaranteed. My opinion based on my experience.

  8. #8
    Member duckslayer56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Maryland...not by choice
    Posts
    2,058

    Default

    How easy is it to get the shelf back on, if you take it off? This whole conversation has me thinking I might take mine off too.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperCub View Post
    I've been using Barney's packs for 20 years. Ditch the headache rack and the meat shelf for sure. I ditched the noisy/weak pins as well. Just bolt your pack to the frame. I had lots of pins bend with heavy loads due to the sloppiness of thier "fit" and weak construction. Bolt the bag straight to the frame and you'll have a quieter and stronger rig, guaranteed. My opinion based on my experience.
    Thanks for sharing your expertise and opinion.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    How easy is it to get the shelf back on, if you take it off? This whole conversation has me thinking I might take mine off too.
    Two pins and a shoelace.... But, you'll never put it back on.

  11. #11
    Member kahahawai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,443

    Default

    I leave the top bar on, it serves a few purposes (Too many to go into), However the big plus is,I have a lightweight vise/clamp pod i can mount my spotter or go pro onto. Bur thats Just my take..... it dont weigh much to make a difference when you pack a whole sheep on the bone in it anyway.

  12. #12
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,395

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    I leave the top bar on, it serves a few purposes (Too many to go into), However the big plus is,I have a lightweight vise/clamp pod i can mount my spotter or go pro onto. Bur thats Just my take..... it dont weigh much to make a difference when you pack a whole sheep on the bone in it anyway.
    I've generally left my top bar on as well, though I took it off last year when I flew it as luggage to Kodiak. I'll likely put it back on after my sheep hunt this year, though. I like being able to tie things to it, move my pack around with it, and such. It's an ounce or two at best, and while I appreciate lightweight gear, I'm not an ounce counter.

    Another thing - Chuck, you leave the bone in when packing sheep? I did that on my first sheep, but never again since.

  13. #13
    Member kahahawai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,443

    Default

    Yep brian, I sure did, all four quarters, because I was in the Brooks and was anticipating staying in longer, its a little more weight but not much more, just ended up walking a little hunched over.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    1,131

    Default

    Thanks guys. I will definitely take off the shelf for hunting this fall as I need all the help I can get. I will need to put it on in the off season though as my kids sleep in my pack as we are hiking and I think it makes a better bed. I took the top rack off first thing cause I hook my rifle over the post. This works until I have a full load that is.......
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,921

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    Thanks guys. I will definitely take off the shelf for hunting this fall as I need all the help I can get. I will need to put it on in the off season though as my kids sleep in my pack as we are hiking and I think it makes a better bed. I took the top rack off first thing cause I hook my rifle over the post. This works until I have a full load that is.......
    If you like hooking your gun on the top as I do and cant when its loaded just take a 3 or 4 inch piece of broom stick or dowel,pull the upper pin on the pack,carve the dowel so it fits in the tube drill a hole through the dowel and put the pin back in.works great to keep sling of the rifle from slipping off.

  16. #16
    Member ninefoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    alaska, all over the state
    Posts
    986

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    Some help with my pack. I did remove the upper rail on the top of my pack which shed some weight. But keep reading that some guys take off the lower bar. So who has done this and how it it working? Specifically are you taking off the entire lower shelf and just hanging the bag from the grommets? Would the bag still carry a moose quarter without the additional support of the shelf? thanks for the help as I couldnt figure out what the posts were referring to....
    i got rid of the top and bottom...and i've carried everything a guy might want (and lots a guy wouldnt want) to carry all over the state with my one and only barneys pack. moose quarters, whole sheep, whole goats,whole caribou (yep) wet ten foot bear hides...they do fine without both. i dont like the top one cause its a pain in the ass in the brush and the bottom shelf is of little use to me as well. i've broke three or four cabelas and camp trails frames early in my career, and will use barneys only from now on. mines hurting as of late and a new one might be in order. gonna see if i can squeeze its sixth season out this year...we'll see. i'm a big guy though, and have heard from more than one smaller framed guy that the barneys pinnacle just dont fit...its the one i'll always use though. i havent found enough use for the top rail, and the bottom freighter shelf to keep em on though. i've used the bag to carry quarters in most situations and have also tied quarters onto just the frame a few times as well. no problems either way.

    zack

  17. #17

    Default

    Very interesting read. After several years of going with I-F packs for meat hauling, I bought a new Barney's Freighter Frame. No pack bag on this unit; just the shelf. At first I thought the shelf was silly-high and a bit ridiculous. After some consideration, I'm not so sure. I only ever pack out 100% boned meat....primarily moose. Those big, bulging meat sacks always find their way to the lowest point of firm support during a pack-out. With most bag-equipped packs, that means a serious percentage of the weight will be centered near the lumbar or sacral area of the spine. My personal thought is that the Barney's shelf (used without a pack bag) will provide good support for loaded meat bags, and it will help keep the weight several important inches higher toward the mid-thoracic region. Again, I know I'm doing things differently...seeing how I'm only using the frame and only for boned meat.

    My current problem to solve is how to make a quick setup to secure the loaded meat bags to the shelf and frame. I'm not going with paracord, rope or knots...too slow and cumbersome for repeated multiple trips. My plan is to add 1" webbing and buckles in key locations. Lay the loaded meat bag on the frame (above shelf), buckle up the straps (about 6 likely) and pull everything in tight to the frame. If anyone has experience or feedback they'd like to share on this....I'm all eyes and ears.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Arizona Baby!
    Posts
    485

    Default

    Necessity is the Mother of Invention. I have also used different sized straps and buckles to attach different things I needed to access quickly or just didn't have room for in the pack.
    The frame I have been using for the last decade is a gifted Kelty and currently has a Boyds pack which suits my hunt style. One thing I did was to use some wire ties and attach a piece of foam pipe insulation lengthwise to the frame wo keep the rifle and scope from banging against the frame when I sling the rifle on the upper corner of the frame when I need to have both hands free.
    The top bar and shelf were the first things to come off.

  19. #19
    Member mainer_in_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction
    Posts
    4,078

    Default

    One inch compression straps are quick and easy to manipulate. Two of those would be the quickest thing to use. They might stay tighter than plastic buckles.

  20. #20
    Member hodgeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction AK
    Posts
    4,055

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by K Dill View Post
    My current problem to solve is how to make a quick setup to secure the loaded meat bags to the shelf and frame.... Lay the loaded meat bag on the frame (above shelf), buckle up the straps (about 6 likely) and pull everything in tight to the frame. If anyone has experience or feedback they'd like to share on this....I'm all eyes and ears.
    I've gravitated to ratchets straps...those light duty 1" ones. Trim the excess tails off the strap (most have 6-8' feet, you need 3' or so at most) to keep the aggravation down. Leave a couple long and you've got an aid to hold legs and such when field dressing if you wish.

    I've used paracord, bungees, plastic buckles and finally ratchet straps. With the mechanical advantage of the ratchet you can simply cinch stuff up much tighter and they won't slide while you're packing.

    I'd love to have something like the Mystery Ranch Load Sling with a ratchet connection instead of fastex buckle.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •