Thread: Chilikadrotna River from Twin Lakes

Default Chilikadrotna River from Twin Lakes

First Post for me....Great site and very informative..Very happy to be here! Thank You for allowing me passage!

Can anyone share some recent (or not so recent) information on the Chili? I'm coming to AK for first time in two weeks and I'll be floating down the Chili from Twin Lakes to the Mulchatna. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I plan on bringing my 7wt and a 4wt (for greyling). I prefer nymphs to drys but I am flexible.

While I'm here..any good campfire recipe's? We will get hungry

Thanks,

paz

I think there may be a food forum on this website for recipe's; but the one I choose is boiling water and adding it to freeze-dried food. There's alot of wildlife up there, and making eggs and bacon with salmon omlettes in the evening can chum animals into your campsite a short time afterwards. The most complicated I have done is cook fish (pan, fire-poached, or added to gumbo mix), but that is on the go, not at a campsite where I'll be leaving stuff for some hours either sleeping or fishing.

Other than safety, any amount of time messing with cooking is taking time away from floating and fishing and setting up camp; which is alot more time than you know - not having done this type of trip before. My recc is go primarily simple (freeze dry, or other very simple preservable meals).

The typical flies that time of year are stripped weighted streamers, ESLs or bunnies, purple, black or pink often with red or orange heads, flesh flies, and globugs. Not many people use naturals if that's what you mean by nymphing.

I would like to hear what you have to report on the Chili....I hear it's an exciting float with good white-water experience

Thanks for the reply Steve. Good advice with regard to the freeze dried food. I haven't had to rely on it for over 30 years, I'm sure there has been some improvement.

Researching this site I didn't find much recent info on the Chilikadrotna so I will make it a point to shed some light on my experience (if I survive!) when I get back. Hopefully, someone will check in before I go with more info on the fishing and any river issues that may be identified.

Get the book "One Man's Wilderness" by Dick Prenake (sp). He built a cabin and wrote about it and the winter spent there. The video has some good ifo but the book is better. The video has some footage of the Chili but not much. Lots of grayling and lake trout at Twin Lakes so nymphs would be great for the grayling, prince nymph, hairs ear, smaller stone and dry's black gnat, elk hair and you wont need to go smaller that 16s. Once you get closer to Mulchatna the bigger stuff will come into play. Can't go wrong with nymphing with beads/egg patterns.

George

Quote Originally Posted by GreenPlanet View Post
    First Post for me....Great site and very informative..Very happy to be here! Thank You for allowing me passage!

Can anyone share some recent (or not so recent) information on the Chili? I'm coming to AK for first time in two weeks and I'll be floating down the Chili from Twin Lakes to the Mulchatna. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I plan on bringing my 7wt and a 4wt (for greyling). I prefer nymphs to drys but I am flexible.

While I'm here..any good campfire recipe's? We will get hungry

Thanks,

paz
    When the campfire has burned down almost to coals, place salmon fiet on aluminum foil, add pats of butter, slices of ORANGE (forget the lemon !), and sprinkle brown sugar on top. Fold the foil and place the package in the coals. Cook for several minutes (fifteen is good), and enjoy. You'll find yourself doing it many times more in your oven at home, set to broil.

I didn't mean to say naturals couldn't work at all:

You could bring one small box of typical flies (dark gnats, cahills, and stimulators), just in case....

I forgot to mention that lemming flies ("mice") do sometimes work - bring a few of these and toss them with a stiff, strong, hand-tied leader made out of maxima (~O-1X). The most effective for me has been "Mercer's Lemming". They generally work best tossed near the bank/structure and then kept near there, dead-drifted, not continually stripped. Anyway, something to do other than globugs while drifting.

Thanks George and Grizz! Yeah I ordered Dick Proennekes book as well the new John Branson's book "More readings from One Man's wilderness" from ebay. Still waiting for their arrival. I will bring a good selection of my favorite slinging bugs as well as some larger egg suckin leach patterns.

The clock is ticking down and in twelve days I should (with a little luck) be landing on one of the Twin Lakes for the start of an adventure that could prove to be a once in a lifetime experience for this injin. I really appreciate all the good advice so far but still looking for anything current with regard to river conditions and sweepers etc.

Tight lines everyone-------------<"(())>{

paz