Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the Ski-Doo Tundra

Default Thoughts on the Ski-Doo Tundra

What are your thoughts on the Tundra? Any one have one? Problems? Thanks for the insight...

Ron

Great machine. They still make them after all these years. For a while, people just mixed their own gas to avoid a problem on the trail. I find mine a little under powered sometimes.

The mid 90's were great years with pogo front end.
    Easy to maintain/fix. Sips gas and goes most places you need to.
    Love mine. KISS principle applies with this little gem.
    BK

Old ones or new ones?

I got a 91 long track last season and am suprised by what it can do. Not a powerhouse, not a speed demon and not a mountain sled but it'll go through suprisingly deep snow and the nice thing is it's so light that if you get it stuck, you can muscle it out fairly easily. I found if you get out of the track in deep snow and auger in, all you have to do is pull the nose over, climb on the back of the sled to put weight on the track, and it'll climb right out of the hole. It's also a very narrow and nimble sled for riding through trees. On the downside the narrow sprung front end is a bit tippy, which makes it feel like it goes alot faster than it does.

The new ones are reported to also be great sleds, but you give up the lightness for more power and a cushier ride.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

PM dirtofak. He has a Tundra and loves that thing. Depends on experience you have riding but the only negative I heard was the 550F does not have the power of the 600 etec.......... but a very nice riding sled and dependable.

I have had a 97, a 2007 300F, and currently have a 2008 550F LT and a 2010 550F Sport (137X15). The 2010 has 1500 miles and the 2008 has 3774.

The only time I wished for more power than the 550F was this last winter. The snow was very deep. I may try to take the 2010 to 144X16X2" and drop a gear. I don't need to go 75MPH. The 2010 towed 2 machines off of Susitna on a heavy sled. It was pulling so hard that one ski was up. (Arctic Cat chaincases) I might also add electric start and get Mikes Welding in Sterling make me a sweet box for the back.

I have a 99 300R and a 2008 550f.
    I like them both. They are a great machine for what they were designed to do.
    I also have a 2011 exp sport 600 ACE and I like that machine as well.
    The older 300's had a problem with a plastic gear in the oiler breaking which is solved by using premix.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Taught the boy how to ride on an 88 Tundral LT. It was a good machine, especially in the woods. It lacked torque when hauling a small load of about 200 lbs up hills. Some hills were down right scary. Other n that, It was a great machine. I eventually got the boy a 98 340 Bearcat, as this machine was easier on his back during long rides. The twin cylinder motor has better torque, and equal to or better fuel mileage than the older tundra.

So a good sled if I pick one up. So is the 600 worth the extra bucks over the 550?
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    So a good sled if I pick one up. So is the 600 worth the extra bucks over the 550?
    Yes. I have a 2010 Tundra LT 550f. If I had to do it again I would seriously look at the Tundra Exteme.

I too am considering the Tundra Extreme. I have been looking at that sled since its debut in 2010, but I cannot get over how narrow the front end is with the telescoping suspension. A friend has the 2011Skidoo Summit 600 etec and its basically the same machine as the Tundra Extreme but with a wider ski stance. However, I'm a Polaris guy and cannot stand the look of the Skidoo powder machines, but I'm drawn to the Tundra Extreme for some reason and I like the 600 etec mileage. I ride everywhere in this state, Petersville, Caribou Hills, Lost Lake, Eureka, Lake Louise, Mt. Susitna and anywhere there is snow. I use my machine to get from A to B, to tow gear to the ice shack, and to boondock, carve, little jumps, and play in the powder. Will the Tundra extreme do all of that? I'm a decent rider and understand the stability issues that come with a narrower ski stance, but I don't want to be tipping over every single time I try to turn the thing. Honestly, that is my only hang-up from pulling the trigger is the narrow ski stance, so Jeff, your thoughts.

I have a 2012 Tundra Extreme. One of the most enjoyable machines I have ever owned. The narrow ski stance took exactly 15 minutes to get used to, and from then out, it was a blast. Manueverablility and flotation are amazing. I also ride just about everywhere in the state. The only time I wanted more horsepower was a couple times at ArcticMan this year. Rather than just blasting up a hill, I had to choose smarter paths. I can generally putt through areas that the big snow sleds have to power through.

Only two issues I had was 1) the DESS key was touchy from the beginning. Unless it was on exactly level, no start. A new cord and that problem went away. 2) adjusting the chain slack was an exercise in cursing. The chaincase is behind the can. Not a big deal until you try to put the can back on. There is one spring that is impossible to get on if you have a skidplate. Made a new bracket for it that I reach under the footwell and solved that.
    2002 Wooldridge Sport 2000, 21', 350 Kodiak Jet, "CindyLou"
    26' Olympic Sport Sedan, 5.7 Volvo, 280 Volvo, getting there, "CindyLouTwo"
    20' Alumatech Airboat
    EagleQuest Cabins and Lodge--Willow

I like the narrow stance. When we play follow the leader I usually win. All I have to do is find a path through a some narrow trees. The only time it bothered me was when I hit frozen overflow at 60+. I got thrown around a bit and even thought of bailing. I rode it out and learned to slow down. Landing on rough overflow at 60+ would hurt.

I like the narrow front end Tundras... not great for bottomless powder but way better in the brush.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Is it as narrow as a 1978 Yamaha 440 exciter? That was the last narrow sled I was on .
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

pure garbage! stay away from ski-donts
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by FishKing View Post
    PM dirtofak. He has a Tundra and loves that thing. Depends on experience you have riding but the only negative I heard was the 550F does not have the power of the 600 etec.......... but a very nice riding sled and dependable.
    nawwwwwwwwww are ya sure?

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    What are your thoughts on the Tundra? Any one have one? Problems? Thanks for the insight...

Ron
    Are we talking the pre-2006 Tundra, or the newer models? They're not remotely similar. The mid-1990's model Tundra II with struts (last model year was 2005) was the best little work machine ever made. After 2005 the machine is completely redesigned, and completely different in every way. And it's heavier, far more complicated, and far less reliable. The only positive thing I can say about the newer ones is that they're a more comfortable ride.

Pictured is a 2005 model pulling a load of 8 foot logs.
    Attachment 61759
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

after years of riding, and building mtn sleds... i can say i love my 2011 600 4st..... it does things in deep snow never possible before
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

AkJeff has a tundra with C130 skis, thing is unstoppable. Sure they are underpowered, but that man can still mountain ride with the best of em.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast