Thread: Caribou Hunt

Default Caribou Hunt

Anyone have any recommendations on the best caribou areas in Alaska available to non residents? I am in the the process of planning a 2013 hunt and would appreciate any info about particular areas and guides.

Thank you,

You don't need a guide for bou, tho having one would likely increase chances of success.
    Do you want a hunt with good numbers of animals, or are you more interested in a book size critter?
    Generally, the 2 best areas for numbers of animals don't have the best chance of book racks. Western Arctic Herd and Central Arctic Herd have lots of bou. Flying out to those areas will give you higher bag limits and better overall success rates, but not too many book racks coming from those 2 herds.
    40 mile Herd has less animals, lower success rates, but I think ( another member will chime in if I'm wrong) larger racks overall.
    The Mulchatna Herd used to be the go to area for big racks, but hunt opportunities for that herd for non-res are pretty limited now.
    Do a hunt out of Bettles into the Brooks Range. When it's over you will have likely had an awesome hunt no matter what you shoot.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Do a hunt out of Bettles into the Brooks Range. When it's over you will have likely had an awesome hunt no matter what you shoot.
    I certainly like hearing that! I'm five weeks out for that exact hunt. First ever trip to Alaska.

M Howe, I'll be back the middle of September. Feel free to PM me.

So would Bettles be a better option thatn out of Happy Valley to hunt the Brooks for Bou?

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    So would Bettles be a better option thatn out of Happy Valley to hunt the Brooks for Bou?
    Hard to define, "better". Just have to do your homework and compare. Both areas have plenty of bou. Bettles is a very hunter friendly place. I believe there are some extra services there, like a lodge, maybe someone to help with meat care. You can fly commercial to Bettles. I don't think commercial carriers fly into Happy Valley. Might be able to fly to Deadhorse.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Thanks' martentrapper.
    We have been considering a self guided hunt although wondering wheather the outfitters would generally take guided customers to better areas. I am not familiar with any outfitters out of Bettles do you have any recomendations? Do you know anything about Stryker Overly from Alaska Arctic Adventures? They fly into Umiat.

Thank's M Howe

Thanks' Steveo

I'm doing a drop hunt out of Happy Valley in a month. Do your homework. We ended up renting a truck from Go North in Fairbanks back in February and they had to get an extra vehicle for us because all their trucks were already rented. It's a 9 hour, 400 mile drive if the road is good, so you have to plan on that. It's gonna cost you about 1100.00 for a ten day rental...plus fuel. So if there are three or four of you that would be cheaper. Otherwise you have to fly to Deadhorse for about 400 a piece and they'll pick you up and drive you to Happy Valley for 300 a piece. Drop me a line after September 9th and I'll let you know how it went.

JK

Quote Originally Posted by M Howe View Post
    Thanks' martentrapper.
    We have been considering a self guided hunt although wondering wheather the outfitters would generally take guided customers to better areas. I am not familiar with any outfitters out of Bettles do you have any recomendations? Do you know anything about Stryker Overly from Alaska Arctic Adventures? They fly into Umiat.

Thank's M Howe

I am familiar with him and many others in Alaska. If you want some more info PM me and we can discuss furhter.