Thread: A delightful fly fishing dilemma!

Default A delightful fly fishing dilemma!

My 19 year old daughter has just this year taken to fly fishing with dad, and I'm delighted! We've spent some quality time casting dry flies to arctic grayling on the Chena River here in the Fairbanks area, but she wants to catch some silvers on the fly as well.

Thanks to magazine work and a past love of floating wilderness rivers, I've experienced some of the finest fly fishing in Alaska. But I can't afford the time or the cash to take her on a remote fly-out trip this year, and I don't want to sour her with introducing her to combat fishing at this point. Besides, I've had little experience over the last 40+ years with fishing the Parks Highway streams and don't know if this is the best bet for her.

I'm thinking maybe a day long float trip with a guide? Or maybe have Mahay's take us up the Talkeetna and drop us off where hopefully I can get her hooked up on quite a few silvers?

I'm just not sure what to do for her, but I want to strike while the interest is there. We like to wade rather than just float.

Open for suggestions from my cyber friends! I'm in a delightful dilemma!

Jim

Try going up to Ophir Creek at the west end of the Nome Creek Road. You can drive up - no guide or charter required. Also, if you're interested in a guided trip you might try the Arctic Grayling Guide Service trips up the Nenana. I haven't gone out with them but I used to work with Laura and got the impression that she's fastidious and would provide an excellent day of fishing.

Most of the Parks streams aren't too bad - if you can fish mid-week & stay away from the mouths of the streams.
    Talkeetna is a good choice, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Most of the Parks streams aren't too bad - if you can fish mid-week & stay away from the mouths of the streams.
    Talkeetna is a good choice, too.
    What Gary said ^^^^^^ mid week is perfect, fly fishing for a variety of salmon and trout.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Jim,

I tried to send you a pm but your box is full. Check this link out and see if this fits the bill.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...y-Island-Lodge

George

Hey Jim, I'll be on Prince of Wales by late Sunday. Bring her down and fish with us.

Thanks, friends!

George, Sorry about the full mailbox. I just went in and emptied it. Never think of it, I guess. I'll check out that thread.

Jim

Gangreen,

From what I recall of my time on Prince of Wales Island, my Princess would go crazy with all that rain and wind! Of course, I know she would be breathless at the beauty of that place if the weather ever turned nice.

Stay dry. Have fun!

Jim

Jim, there really is abundant room on susitna river tributaries in August. Not combat fishing at all except for the mouths on a few weekends, and no need to be right at the mouths to catch good tablefare. Chums, silvers, etc. I prefer to float in an inflatable but many walk the banks with good success. Send me a pm if you'd like some particular recommendations but sometimes it's fun to just poke around and see what you can find. Bring a light setup for rainbows, which will seem like salmon compared to chena grayling, and a heavier setup for salmon proper. They will hit almost any big ugly colorful flies.

I just use a pair of hipwaders when I'm floating (14' round raft typically, 12' is more ideal for the hwy accessible creeks), and rarely am standing more than knee deep but if you are only walking then chest waders may be advisable to access some good water without others in sight.

Also, the kenai in September would be a great option for silvers, though more of a drive.

Is boating/ rafting an option?

Andweav,

Thanks for the recommendations! Several options we're looking at. I no longer have any rafting gear, although, at one time I had 7 rafts and did some river/fishing guiding. Maybe next year I'll get another raft? Other than that, we are all set with the proper gear.

I must also admit to having never fished the Kenai. Over the years I even turned down several magazine assignments to fish with various outfits on the Kenai. Looking back, maybe that wasn't such a smart idea. But times have changed and perhaps I should take another look at the Kenai? Floating the Kenai with a guide for a day of fishing for silvers would likely get my daughter into some nice fish and scenery and be pretty easy on her.

Have to make a decision soon, but it's a wonderful place we live to have so many options open to us. Lived here some 42 years and I'm still excited about it.

Cheers!

Jim