Thread: Moving a large gun safe?

Default Moving a large gun safe?

I've got a safe to move (72x42x25) and contacted Neils Lock and Safe to see if they could do it. The lady said that Neil was out of town for a few days and would call me back. In the mean time, I'm looking for other options in case that doesn't pan out. I'm looking to move it downstairs but the stairs won't be an option, so it's gotta go out of the house, down the hill and in the basement back door (daylight walk-out basement). Thoughts on who might be best for the job?

I guess your hill is the real question.. I had to move a big safe and it is real easy with 4 or 5 pieces of pipe tucked under the safe. Just tilt the safe, push the pipes under the safe and simple push, push it off one pipe move it to the front and keep going. Might get a wrecker to come over and pick the safe up and drive to the bottom of the hill.

there is a beast called a "safe dolly" that will even move it up or down stairs - if the lock & safe co. you are calling sells many gun safes they may have one or know where to find one - I have moved an honest behemoth of a safe with a "GOOD" truck but it was VERY HONESTLY no fun ! (and could have gone bad at several junctures in the move) the pipe trick works well but you risk scratches to the finish, round wood posts "help" to alleviate that a bit but the BIG problem with that way is NO BRAKES

Yeah, once we get it in the back door I'm gonna protect the floor with plywood and use the 1" wooden dowels to roll it into place. The stairs are also not an option due to the size of the safe and geometry of the landing at the bottom...

I have moved my safe several times over the years and my safe is over 900 lbs. One of the best ways is taking the door off first, then use a stove dolly or piano dolly to get it from one place to the next. Using the stairs sounds like a shorter distance than the hill, if it is carpet. Hard wood floor is a diff story
    The door is easy to take off with a 2x4 and good crowbar

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

You do not want to put 1000-1500 pounds of safe and grunting guys on a home staircase, they arenít structured to take that load safely. A true piano dolly (not the things that look the same at Lowes) is the best way to go, piano dollies donít have swivel casters and usually rubber on top not carpet so they stay put under the load. The pipe/dowel idea works but slow and hard to get over thresholds and make turns. Iíd use steel pipe or tubing with a couple layers of duck tape on them.

Round up a little tilt bed lawn tractor trailer to pull behind a quad, that would be the ticket to get it from door to door. Put it behind the trailer and tip it over onto pads on trailer, drag it forward with a come-along, tie it down, take to other door and reverse process.
    Are there steps to deal with at ether door? If so then ya got to figure them into the pipe strategy somehow. Take your time and think it out and you can do it, just donít rush anything and itís amazing what you can do. I moved a 14X20 cabin 25 miles all by myself, took 4 day but wasnít near as hard as I had imagined.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    I moved a 14X20 cabin 25 miles all by myself, took 4 day but wasnít near as hard as I had imagined.
    What the heck am I doing asking anybody but YOU!!

I think AKDoug is gonna come give me a hand with his skid steer and make it pretty easy. I thought the same thing about getting buddies and stairs to play with a ~1250lb steel box...no bueno....

I'll keep ya posted...

Bobcat with frocks will do a fine job if it has enough counter weight on it. Moving anything big is like eating an elephant one bite at a time, a little at a time and youíll get there.

Here is me by myself putting 1050# of new cast iron lathe in my basement last September. Down the hole where the half flight of stairs were using an engine hoist thatís all maxed out and bendy lookin. Took about 4 hours including taking the steps out and putting them back after. Amazing what even a fat guy with a bad back and knees can get done a little bit at a time. I didn't even know the wife took these not very flattering pix of me till yesterday when I dumped the SD card on my computer, I was busy at the time and didn't see she had the Nikon out.

DOWN THE HOLE1a.jpgDOWN THE HOLE2a.jpg
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

My new Volvo tracked skidsteer will have no issue with it (can pick up 3600#) since it's still on a pallet in his garage. I learned earlier this season what happens when you don't strap a top heavy load to the rack of the forklift and I won't be doing that again Strapped down it will be a piece of cake to get down the hill and in the basement door. Then the fun begins moving it around the basement. Knowing Kyle, there will be lots of pictures

Andy, you and I are in the same weight class
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

If you are in the neighborhood and want to play with the new toy I could probably get some piles of dirt hauled in over here for you to push around

I would be up to give you guys a hand pushing that bad boy around the basement.

I think we might be able to work something out

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I learned earlier this season what happens when you don't strap a top heavy load to the rack of the forklift . . .
    Hahaha Years ago my boss ordered a brand new keyway cutter for cutting internal keyways up to 24Ē long, it was tall with a heavy cast iron table on top, like an over grown spindle sander. It came in on a truck and I grabbed the forklift, drug it to the back of the trailer, picked it up, backed up so the driver could shut his doors . . . never bothering to lower it down. I signed the drivers paperwork then turned the wheel to head into the shop and hit the gas. BOOM! Thing busted the banding straps, tipped off the frocks and landed up-side down on the concrete busted all to heck!

The safe should be an easy enough job with a new tracked skid steer.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Mine was a $10,000 kiln(5000#)for firing ceramics. It was on a 5' wide pallet with 4' forks. The pallet snapped on the way down to the ground. The whole thing rolled over in slow motion and laid on it's back on the flatbed. Didn't hurt a thing, but it took a couple hours, two forklifts, a backhoe, and a retired crane guy to figure out how to stand it back up without damaging it. We pulled it off without hurting it, but I learned a valuable lesson.

Can't remember the name, but it was Aardvark something. They had a cool aircushion contraption to move heavy stuff, plus a couple of big dudes. They moved a big heavy 'fridge for me. Anchorage guys.

For best results just use a bucket of golf balls. They allow you to spin the safe and roll it without damageing the floors surface. To reload the golf balls under the safe once it has rolled off them just sweep them back in front of thr safe with a broom. That's the way we did it when I worked with a friend who owned a safe company. The bigger the safe the more balls we used. Good Luck !!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

That actually sounds pretty cool!! I might have to consider that!!

Just like sitting it on ball bearings.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

brav01

" The bigger the safe the more balls we used. "

No Pun intended

That would work if ya got a bucket of golf balls . . . be cheaper to hire it moved than buy all the balls though, even Wal-Mart is real proud of them things!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Hey, this is starting to sound like a party in the making ... A hundred golf balls, a trash can full of beer and ice, a couple clubs and all those woods behind your house