Thread: Red shirt lake?

Default Red shirt lake?

Has anyone been to red shirt lake for pike this year? if so are the fish hiting nicely?

Went last weekend rented a canoe. Son and I picked up about 20. Fishing was ok kinda windy had lots of hits in the weeds most ended up getting tangled in the weeds.

Quote Originally Posted by FishAk123 View Post
    Went last weekend rented a canoe. Son and I picked up about 20. Fishing was ok kinda windy had lots of hits in the weeds most ended up getting tangled in the weeds.
    Nice any perticlar area on the lake? what kinda fishing were tou doing. Im trying to take my old man to go fishing there for his first time pike fishing

We only fished weed beds and edges of weed beds threw mepps spinners on the edges and frogs in the weeds. Some of the pike were right next to the shore deep in the weeds.

nice! ill give that a shot i have some fish like lures i was gonna try, and maybe some bobber bait. Thanks for the info, what was the biggest one you pulled out?

This time of year topwater buzzbaits can be a blast. Definitely a blast to watch those pike attack! Another favorite of mine is a safety pin style spinner bait w/ a single colorado blade and a black skirt. Keep the rod tip up and buzz it just underneath the surface where you can see the wake of the blade.

Quote Originally Posted by TOMCOD View Post
    This time of year topwater buzzbaits can be a blast. Definitely a blast to watch those pike attack! Another favorite of mine is a safety pin style spinner bait w/ a single colorado blade and a black skirt. Keep the rod tip up and buzz it just underneath the surface where you can see the wake of the blade.
    i was going to try a Wart wiggler, with a slow and jigging it to see what i could pull up, lots of sound and action. Ill give those ones a try. How do you feel about live bait or artificial bobber bait?

The problem with wiggle warts is those dang treble hooks hanging down. You end up reeling in alot of vegetation. Pike are ambush predators and like to hang out in thick cover. It's illegal to use live fish for bait. A frog or mouse imitation is also good.

the wiggle warts i have are single hooks, i got them at b and J sporting. Already set up with single hooks , i didnt know that live bait is illegal i didnt see anythign posted in the regulation books. Thanks for the info i had no clue.

I fish lures only. Don't like the idea of carrying bait on the 3 mile hike to the lake. I've been able to catch small pike along the weedy shores at the north end of the lake and up the creek that flows into the lake there. Paddle towards the eastern shore opposite from the rental canoe rack and hang a left at PUC#3 on the island. I rigged my kids up with rapala floating minnows or small crankbaits on steel leader. Just be careful of those treble hooks. I also have used a clouser fly with good success. Single hook lures like weedless spoons, streamers, or jigs are definitely easier and safer to work with and will catch less grass. Long nose pliers are highly recommended. I would expect that you can find pike anywhere there are weeds for them to hide in to set up for an ambush. Also have hooked up fishing the weeded areas around the island just south of PUC #3 island. Tried the Lynx creek area on the eastern shore but discovered there were not enough weeds in the area. I saw a pikezilla cruising around the PUC#3 island but could not get him to bite. Good luck!