Thread: Mandatory 36 Hour Commercial Closures?

Default Mandatory 36 Hour Commercial Closures?

Do they still have a mandatory 36 hour closure for commercial fishing on the weekends? And does it apply to the boats, or was that just a setnet rule?

Well, apparently not, as I just called the Commercial Fishing information line and found out that the commercial boats will be out tomorrow from 9AM -9PM

Cool

Won't matter if a big slug of fish comes in . . nets are out today, and my wife just called . . dipping from a boat on the Kenai . . two nets . . nine fish in about an hour . . hole in one of the nets . . they lost about five more before fixing the net . . things are picking up . .

. . oh, and the nets are out . .

. . bottom line? The only time you know you ain't gonna get fish with your dip-net is when your dip-net ain't in the water . .

what happened to the 24 hr closer for tuesday ? I guess with the lost days at the start of the season we will no more closers this season ?

reg change reference is here: #60

The mandatory window only applies to the set net fishery. No mandatory closures for the drift fleet but they do have mandates on where they can fish during certain time frames and under certain run sizes:
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ho.../129695867.pdf

how far off shore is the drift fleet required to maintain?

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    how far off shore is the drift fleet required to maintain?
    1 Mile North of the Kenai River and 1.5 Miles South of the Kenai River. This is supposedly to allow the Kings to get by.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    Won't matter if a big slug of fish comes in . . nets are out today, and my wife just called . . dipping from a boat on the Kenai . . two nets . . nine fish in about an hour . . hole in one of the nets . . they lost about five more before fixing the net . . things are picking up . .

. . oh, and the nets are out . .

. . bottom line? The only time you know you ain't gonna get fish with your dip-net is when your dip-net ain't in the water . .
    I agree. It's easy to blame sides when the fish aren't there and you are, but nobody seems to be blaming the fish themselves. Sockeye move in huge schools. If you study the OTF numbers and the daily counts, you can easily see the correlations, and the data trends the same way whether the commercial nets are out or not. Yes, the commercial boats catch some of the fish, but they most certainly don't get them all.

I'm getting a bit tired of people whining because their own timing didn't sync with the fish, so they want to blame someone else. I've fished days when the commercial boats and setnetters have also been fishing and done very well. I've also been skunked or close to it several times, and almost every time the commercial boats weren't fishing, the fish just weren't there when I was. The schools cruise through and up that river pretty fast, so if you miss them you're outta luck until the next group comes through. It's pretty simple, often maddening, there's no sure bet on the timing, and it's all a gamble...you're gong to lose some of the time, that is guaranteed.

I'm personally betting on Monday-Tuesday of next week. If I'm wrong, oh well. Yeah, it's money lost and food not in the freezer, and it's pretty important to us for the winter, but it's mother nature we're trying to analyze and out-smart and in the history of man that has never proved easily done. Why does anyone think this should be a sure deal or that they are somehow entitled to be successful fishing? That's not the way it works, so get over it and deal with it.

/rant

See the most current reports for validation of what I was saying....