Thread: Repainted your atv racks?

Default Repainted your atv racks?

Gonna dress up a little 250 timberwolf I have. The racks are rusted and most of the paint chipped off, I'm going to sand them down and redo them up. Has anyone out there done this? What paint/primer did you use? How has it held up? Any suggestions would be great!
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

HERE is a thread where AKMUD built his steel trailer. Lots of recommendations on paint in it for what I consider to be a pretty comparable purpose. The sherwin williams industrial enamel he went with sounds like pretty sturdy stuff. POR 15 is another option that has a huge following but last I checked it also has a huge price tag$$$!!

POR 15 is good stuff. Painted my flatbed when I built it 10 years....still going strong.
    BK

So you just paint the POR 15 on and its good to go? No priming huh? Interesting.....

I re did mine I just use the spray paint truck bed liner costs like 8 bucks a can holds up pretty well and is cheap/ easy enough I just do it every 3 years of so.

I have to update the Sherwin Williams info.....NOT impressed! I put two heavy coats on my trailer after spending hours with a grinder/wire wheel prepping. It is already looking a bit ragged in places and appears to be showing some surface rust through the paint.

For a simple wheeler rack, I'd use semi-gloss Rustoleum enamel in the spray cans. You could do a couple of coats with one can and it wears really well. It is what I use on my custom racks that I have built. Cheap and easy to touch up as well.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I used Duplicolor Bed liner spray can to paint my racks on my honda about 5 years ago. To this date the bed liner paint is still in good condition with only a few chips. I am not easy on my honda by any means either. Preparation is key, scuff it up real good, clean it, and spray light even coats. I actually just used the same bed liner spray on the stock rims on my Rhino when I put new tires on it. Looks good and is pretty tough, and touch up is very easy and blends well.

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    I have to update the Sherwin Williams info.....NOT impressed! I put two heavy coats on my trailer after spending hours with a grinder/wire wheel prepping. It is already looking a bit ragged in places and appears to be showing some surface rust through the paint.

For a simple wheeler rack, I'd use semi-gloss Rustoleum enamel in the spray cans. You could do a couple of coats with one can and it wears really well. It is what I use on my custom racks that I have built. Cheap and easy to touch up as well.

Thanks for the update, that was a real cool thread to read about the trailer. I think I'm going to try out this POR-15 stuff, boy its pretty expensive, but after chipping and painting ships a few years ago I can really appreciate a rust preventative paint.

After prepping, get the rust encapsulating spray paint by Hammerite (not the metallic kind). When done with that, get the truck bed liner (textured) spray paint by Rustoleum and finish it off. Makes a very durable surface.

Get it blasted and powder coated. You can't do a paint job that'll rival the quality or durability of a good powder coating. Anchorage Custom Powder Coating and Advanced Powder Coating are both great companies to work with.

I'll second Mr. Pid. Both companies have GREAT people, but Anchorage Custom Powder coating is about 30% more $$ than Advanced in Big Lake and they take about twice as long. However what's the drive to Big Lake worth to you?