Thread: AK road trip beg. of Aug

Default AK road trip beg. of Aug

Family (Mom, 3 teens) and I are headed to AK the first week and half in Aug with plans to do a bit of fishing and whole bunch of other activities. It’s our first time to: go to AK, get in an RV, or take a real family vacation and so we really look forward to it. General plan (subject to change), is to head up the Parks to Fairbanks then the Richardson down to Valdez, then to Seward (land route), back to Anchorage….I know it’s a lot of driving but we have ~13 days to do it all.

With fishing being only ~50% of the “official” plan I’ve done my best to prepare for any opportunity that may happen to crop up along the way. I’ve spent quite a bit of time on the web and reading through some books to find the “best” spots to catch a few fish and since I’m a list fanatic I have the preferred spots listed out by mile marker for each of the highways we’ll be travelling on. Most of my “spots” are the names you would be most familiar with (Willow, Sheep, Goose, Montana, Fourth of July, etc….and about 3 dozen more places), but if an opportunity arises and we are in between my listed spots, I can quickly open up the book and find whatever is nearby. If we have a few hours open, at a moment’s notice, I’m looking to fish. Are these creeks crowded during the weekdays?

One thing that’s not really addressed anywhere that I’ve found is the accessibility factor in terms of parking area. We will be in a +30’ RV and I was wondering if most of the fishing spots and roads leading to them are friendly to big @$$ vehicles. I expect to generate much excitement and memories on this trip, but getting an RV stuck in the mud or wedged between trees is not exactly what I have in mind. I know this is a bit like asking, “how good is BBQ?,” but any insight you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated. Any places to be wary of? Any recommended places?

By the way, we have zero experience fishing for salmon, AG, DV, or bows, and no experience with spinners…but from all the reports and reading I have a pretty good shopping list for Sportsmen’s Warehouse when we arrive….at least I think I do (Vibrax, Mepps, pixies, Panther Martin, etc).. We’ll let it rip and hopefully have a big dose of beginner’s luck.

I’m sure, pics to follow.

Default Early august fishing in AK

Parks Highway Streams:
    Parks streams dont get to crowded on the weekdays, some good pink, chum, and silver fishing to be had along the parks streams
    Caswell creek, willow creek, sheep creek, rabideux creek, sunshine creek, goose creek, pretty much all of those streams plus more hold good amounts of salmon and trout in early aug. *Fishing is best around early morning or late evening!* Any time is good tho.

For the parks streams Id use roe, spinners (orange, pink, charetuse, blue, any of the super vibraxes which is all orange, all charetuse, and the pink blue and silver ones work very well.) If using spoons id use hotrods, pixies in pink or red inserts, daredevils and any little shiny spoon should do good.

Fairbanks:
    When fishing in fairbanks fish the chena river, search the flyfishing section for mile markers to stop at and fish.

Using size '0' up to size '2' mepps will work exellent on those grayling, you can also use the smaller sized panther martins and sizes 1-2 in the bluefox vibrax. Graying and trout are pretty fiesty fish and will take up most offerings quite redily, and same goes for the parks highway salmon!

The road to Valdez:

Floss for reds at the klutina, look at the circles for sockeyes thread and read about how to floss on here. They should still be holding up on the klu.

Now when in valdez fish either the salomon gultch hatchery or allison point off the rock and the pinks will be in thick!
    Small vibrax, little silvery spoons or anything really would work.

Seward.. Cant help there! But anchorage areas..
    I cant say about seward as ive never fished down there but try bird creek, ressurection creek (hope, AK) or ship creek in town for close to anchorage silvers pinks and chums. Fish the tides and use any of the spinners (vibrax) i suggested and you should do good!

Coming back from Glennallen?
    I like to fish tolsona creek, just upstream has good rainbow and grayling fishing, egg sucking leeches or wooly buggers with a small splitshot or small spinners, spoons or panther martins work well. Theres lots of fish (trout) in the streams and lakes back to wasilla so go get them!

Techniques:
    You can cast your spinners into the current at about 2 o'clock or 10 o'clock depending on the side of bank your on, just cast a bit upstream and slow to moderatly reel your spinner in and it should do a drift or sweep across the hole or stretch of creek your fishing.
    Try to find holes that may be holding fish and use the technique stated above and cast at the head of the hole then it should sweep across to the tail end of the pool then hopefully youll hook into something!
    Thats good for most of all streams rivers i.e Parks, richardson, anchorage area

Now when in valdez and casting into the bay, use size 3-4 spinners or small to medium spoons and cast out as far as you can and count out 1...2...3... then slowly start reeling in and you should hit those pinks hard down there!
    Just hit the fishing as hard as you can and make sure your family enjoys!

Now if you had more time on your hands id be more than greatful to fly you and your family up to lakecreek by our cabin and enjoy slaying the bows, sockeye, pinks, chums and silvers! Maybe next time your adventure lands in alaska you can have some spare time!
    Also, if you wanted a fishing partner to maybe show you around a little bit and show you the ropes ill be glad to help!

There is also a number of stocked lakes along the road system here so you can check out the Alaska Department of Fish and Games webside (search adfg in google) and look at the list of stocked lakes and depth charts and you should do good!

Enjoy, and PM me if you have any more questions on techniques or lure choice ill be glad to help!
    Should be a good time for sure in early august in the AK!
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Wow, hey LAKE CREEK FISHERMAN, great post. Good on you for offering up the help. Good fishing to you.

Good fishing to all!
    -Local 907 Riders Union

Quote Originally Posted by Lake creek fishermen View Post
    ... PM me if you have any more questions on techniques or lure choice ill be glad to help!
    Should be a good time for sure in early august in the AK!
    My rookiness must be evident...I can't PM you....or anyone else just yet.

Nonetheless, thanks A BUNCH for the very insightful advice, it is much appreciated that you are willing to take the time to post up and explain things so thoroughly. I'm certain it will help put some fish on our lines.... And I just found out tonight that my daughter, who hasn't picked up a rod in several years, had Mom buy her some waders/boots to come fishing with the rest of us. Gonna be fun.

You fellas from AK ain't too bad....

I think you need like 15 posts or something to pm people, but anyways sounds like a fun time to be had! Weathers been nice lately, a change from this cold a nasty summer it been. Oh well bring on winter after this august!
    -Local 907 Riders Union

The canonical way to camp in Alaska, at least on the road system, is the roadside pullout. But there are also some developed campgrounds that would definitely be able to accommodate a big RV. I noticed that every place on your list is flowing water, but there are a bunch of lakes, including stocked lakes, that have campgrounds with facilities. In the Fairbanks area you might consider Chena Lakes, although it can get crowded. They've got boat rentals and you can get out on the lake and fish for char, trout, etc. There are some large stocked lakes off the Rich but the shore fishing can be kind of sketchy. One of the good things about the lakes is that you can keep the fish, which is not the case on the Chena and some other interior rivers. If you've got your own boat you can paddle out to some quieter camping spots on an island.

On the Chena Hot Springs Road, if you can see that a side road/pullout has a stop sign at the end you can definitely get a big RV down it. The fishing improves the further upstream you get on the Chena, at least in terms of the quality of fish you catch. If you're up for getting a little further out there are some really nice BLM campgrounds at either end of the Nome Creek Road off the Steese, past Chatanika. Go west (left) to the Ophir Creek campground and there's some excellent fishing for graylings, but again it's catch-and-release only. There's also recreational gold panning along that road, if you want to give that a shot. Also, if you fly fish, or ever wanted to fly fish, grayling are a hoot. They're not that fussy so even if you're kind of sloppy about how you get your fly into the water there's a pretty good chance you'll hook up, and dry fly fishing is a lot of fun.

If you have the time plan on one night out Chena Hot Springs. It is 50 miles North east of Fairbanks. I'd stop at the second bridge about 40 mile and try some grayling fishing. Then head 10 miles further in the evening for a dip in the outdoor hot springs at the resort. They have full hookups for the rv there, or you could drive back a few miles and camp at one of the many pullouts.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Quote Originally Posted by Grayling Slayer View Post
    If you have the time plan on one night out Chena Hot Springs. It is 50 miles North east of Fairbanks. I'd stop at the second bridge about 40 mile and try some grayling fishing. Then head 10 miles further in the evening for a dip in the outdoor hot springs at the resort. They have full hookups for the rv there, or you could drive back a few miles and camp at one of the many pullouts.
    Really? I've never fished much at the second bridge, both because of the crowds and because I haven't found the fishing to be that good. I've gotten a few very large fish at the slough off the first bridge and a very large number of very small fish on the downstream side of the first bridge, gotten consistently respectable fish at the third bridge, and once you get upstream of the fourth bridge it's on like Donkey Kong, as the young people say. I don't generally fish at the bridges, though, because there tend to be more people around and I prefer to get a little further off the road for some solitude and some quiet.

I usually float down and fish undisclosed locations.

I was just offering an easy to find/ access area for a large rv.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Good Post LCF...rep your way.

I would just add you may want to pick up a Alaskan Highway Angler book...go to resource used by many, including me. Good Luck cant wait to see your photos!
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Thanks for all the responses.

I've had Gunther's book and Budget Angler for awhile, lots of bedtime reading...They are going to be in my backpack... Also have spent more than a couple of lunch breaks (since Feb) marking certain posts and making notes these forums....but you can only do "classroom" training for so long before you have to get up, get wet and really learn something. The time must be getting close, just tonight, my wife was telling me to get pixies and Vibrax and etc.. I don't know where she picked that up because she really doesn't know a lick about fishing, though she does enjoy it. I just hope this means all HER stuff is packed up and ready to go.

Back to my original question.... For the Parks creeks, can most of the parking areas comfortably handle an RV? I was just wondering if this some thing I should be concerned about or not. If only certain places can accommodate, then I will have to focus on those. I just hope there's a couple or few that can....Otherwise, it may be a long walk.