Thread: Middle Kenai River Late Sept/Early Oct Info

Default Middle Kenai River Late Sept/Early Oct Info

Hello everybody, great forum!

A few years back a friend of mine was fortunate enough to be able to buy a house on the middle Kenai river. Since then he and I have made an annual pilgrimage up for two weeks of silver/trout fishing, always during the second half of August. The vast majority of our fishing has been done (by personal power boat) from Naptowne rapids up to Skilak.

While the trout fishing is generally steady, over the years we have found that this early run of silvers can be fickle. During about 12 days of fishing we generally have 4-5 days of good action, 4-5 days of hard work for the fish and 2-3 days of 'almost impossible'.

So this year for a change of pace we are going to come up for the second run of silvers. Research has led me to think that late September early October should be prime time for silvers in this stretch of river. It is my understanding that this second run is believed to larger (in both quantity and size) and that these second-run fish are primarily mainstem spawners and tend to hang around much longer than the early run.

I am interested to hear about personal experience from you guys comparing the silver fishing in late August to this Late September/October time frame. Fish numbers, catchability, behavior changes between runs, ect?

You are correct! There are silvers in the Kenai spawning clear up til like Feb/March. Catchability is fairly the same. You can run plugs, flies, spinners, ect. Any slack water spots are good places to look for these fish I.E. 1st,2nd,3rd Hole, Behind Thompsons, Torpedo slough, ect. Some of these fish also will be sitting in the trout water as well. To fish for both at the same time, you might want to try plugs (hotshots, tadpollies, ect.) You will catch trout and silvers fishing the same set up. Make sure to replace the hooks on these though with some smaller siwash hooks and pinch the barbs as to not put a hurting on these big bows. October can be completely amazing on the Kenai. I know I look foward to it every year!

I appreciate the input! I have been reading everything I can get my eyes on regarding middle kenai silver fishing in this late Sept/early Oct. timeframe but I haven't found much. Most of the reports are focused on trout fishing with very little discussion about silvers.

Anybody else with first hand experience care to weigh in on late August silvers in the middle river VS the late September/early October bite?

Heading down to fish in the morning
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Any additional feedback regarding this topic? Sept. 26th is coming (eventually) and sleep is getting harder and harder to come by! Our AK trip is the highlight of my year and I absolutely can't wait to just sit on the deck and listen to the river running by...

Quote Originally Posted by KenaiKeys View Post
    Any additional feedback regarding this topic? Sept. 26th is coming (eventually) and sleep is getting harder and harder to come by! Our AK trip is the highlight of my year and I absolutely can't wait to just sit on the deck and listen to the river running by...
    You think you got it bad?
    I leave Saturday morning for AK!!!
    Be there Monday afternoon. It's a long drive.
    Then I'm there until October 11th.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    You think you got it bad?
    I leave Saturday morning for AK!!!
    Be there Monday afternoon. It's a long drive.
    Then I'm there until October 11th.
    Wow, I'm jealous, e go for two weeks but boy would I love to have an entire month! Enjoy the drive and save a few fish for us!

I just sent you a PM, have a look-see

Quote Originally Posted by KenaiKeys View Post
    Wow, I'm jealous, e go for two weeks but boy would I love to have an entire month! Enjoy the drive and save a few fish for us!

I just sent you a PM, have a look-see
    Seen and replied to!!